Geoffrey Goodell via Nettime-tmp on Sat, 27 May 2023 20:44:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> process reporting?

My friends,

I come with a message of hope, and fatalists be damned.

There is no reason for apoplectic fits; Google's latest actions do not
portend the end of unmoderated mailing lists.

First, let me acknowledge that, as some were quick to note, Google has done
this sort of thing before, the most salient example being from 2017, when
Google began discarding mail for which the DNS zone of the sender did not
contain records to match a valid SPF or DKIM header in the email message [1].
Four years later, I wrote an article characterising this as an example of
Google throwing its weight around, perhaps with a tactical setback for the free
and open character of the Internet [2], but in the end server admins managed to
implement the right cryptography, and we're back on track.

As with the SPF and DKIM debacle in 2017, there is no existential threat here.
I believe that Florian suggested that having the messages be delivered by the
mailing-list address rather than preserving the relevant headers of the
original sender would solve the problem.  And it does.  If Ljudmila can do it,
then INC can do it as well, in case we choose to accept Menno's suggestion,
which I still think is a fine idea and believe would solve the problem.  And,
we could even decide to implement this substitution for 'unfriendly' servers
such as Google's, while allowing everything to function as it always has for
'normal' servers that have not chosen to accept Google's overzealous anti-spam
cultism.

For the sake of argument, let's suppose that Google has indeed decided that now
is the moment that it can act to snuff out unmoderated mailing lists by design,
with the nefarious goal of shutting down all non-corporate e-mail servers and
mailing lists.  There are many tools at our disposal, ranging from lightweight
'auto-moderation' in which our server selectively converts received messages
into something that looks OK to Google's filters, to simply asking Google users
to accept the digest format or use another account to join.

Let me also say that I have nothing against moderated mailing lists.  However,
whilst installing a moderator would ostensibly solve the tactical problem as
well as the approach described above, it would come with a tremendous cost.
Moderators would either be unpaid volunteers, in which case they would bias the
messages they accept toward whatever suits their interests and desired message,
or they would be paid executives, in which case they would bias the messages
they accept toward whatever their paymasters want.  It goes without saying that
it is not an option for the list to charge a subscription fee.

I take the point that mail carriers are actually quite powerful; I am reminded
of _The Crying of Lot 49_ by Thomas Pynchon.  It is no accident that the server
that I am offering for service to this cause, in case it is needed, is named
'trystero'.  But in the end, we will find a way to communicate with each other,
carriers be damned.  I am deeply saddened by the fatalism of some of this
list's members, wherein we are being asked to accept that 'times are changing'
and that to adapt we must accept whatever is demanded by the Silicon Valley
companies, and the surveillance capitalist machine they represent.  No.  We
don't need that.  We don't need instant messaging or push notifications, and we
certainly don't need to elect a designated scapegoat to take responsibility for
the ideas shared via this medium.  The Internet is still what we make it.

There are examples of technologies that were once accepted that have
disappeared because of collective action.  Take freon, for example.  Freon was
really great at air-conditioning human spaces, but it was ultimately determined
to deplete the ozone layer and contribute to climate change.  So Freon has been
banned or restricted in most of the world.  Freon is not the only example.  The
use of asbestos in construction has similarly been curtailed, as has the use of
mercury in computer monitors.

However, unmoderated mailing lists actually work very well, and seldom carry
these negative externalities, certainly not by their intrinsic nature.  I can
tell you that I cannot recall ever receiving a single spam message from Nettime
(advertisements for books, articles, and exhibitions notwithstanding).

There may come a time when the dominance of a small handful of carriers or
service providers will force us to do something more drastic, like run this
mailing list as a Tor onion service and encourage people to sign up with email
addresses that have onion site names after the 'at' symbol rather than
ICANN-approved domains.  But that time is not today.

So, let's start handing over the keys.  Felix and Ted -- and yes, thank you
very much for your service -- have you started handing over control to Menno
and Geert and company?  And if not, why not?

Best wishes --

Geoff

P.S. I also agree that the archives, which I can promise have been scraped
already, need not be the responsibility of the new list maintainers.

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20170616095129/https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

[2] https://doi.org/10.1017/dap.2022.38