Andreas Broeckmann via Nettime-tmp on Sat, 27 May 2023 15:46:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> process reporting?

Florian, thank you for the explanation and all the important work of the last years to keep the list afloat!

You write:

> 3. this means to me [please correct me if i am wrong] that it has
> become and will become increasingly unsustainable to run a mailinglist
> with several thousand subscribers in a *unmoderated* and *non-digest*
> mode like nettime-l.

In pragmatic terms, this is probably true; but as someone who finds it difficult anyway to understand why people entrust their most private correspondence to google, and who has been paying an independent internet provider (in-berlin.de) for mail and web services since the 90s, I would say that it is possible to run such a mailinglist away from gmail, i.e. by accepting that people who choose to use gmail accounts actively exclude themselves (or allow themselves to be excluded by their provider).

The more in-principle question for us here is: Why is the choice of those gmailed people for a particularly restrictive provider taken as the determining factor for the fate of Nettime? (Is it as though we were to accommodate our rules and procedures to the Beijing government's idea of online communication?)

Regards,
-a