Mihajlo Acimovic on Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:04:28 +0100

Re: Syndicate: Name Discrimination

>    BTW, Natasha sounds more Russian to me!  :-)

Natasha is a Slavic name. It sounds like Serb, Croat, Russian, Ukrainian, White Russian or any other Slav. My impression is that it is more common among orthodox Slavs = those who had been under Russian influence.

>People assumed she was a Serb because her first name is a common Serb name
>and because Serbian is one of the seven languages she speaks.

And the other languages are Croatian, Bosnian, Zagrebian, Belgradian, Montenegrian and Vojvodinian? (I am adapting to the ethnic division steming from centuries old ethnic feuds, even before this political reality is created)
When is this Language.Name nightmare going to stop? Aaargh. I dont care how the Yugoslav/Serbocroatian language is called, but please, one name!!!??/=%(&'$' <utter confusion>
Ein Volk, Ein Vuk Karadzic, Ein Sprach.
Btw, I don't think the Albanians cared about that woman's name. To a lot of them, Yugoslavs are Yugoslavs. Albanians believe (and so do I) that SerboCroatoBosnianoMontengrinoVojvodinianoSandzakianoBelgraders are one people in language and culture. During the 60s, 70s and 80s, when poor Albanians were comming as refugees from Albania, they did shit jobs in Yugoslavia, just to earn more money. In Serbia and Macedonia, Albanians were a common thing, so they were allowed to stay there. But in Slovenia and Croatia they were faced with a lot more racism. I heard that refugee boats from Albania were not allowed to land in Croatian ports, but were re-directed to Montenegro. The point I am trying to make is that most Albanians can not or, more truly, do not want to make a difference between the newly divided ex-Yugoslav nations. In Kosov@, Serbs and Macedonians were so closely interrelated (also in Macedonia), that it is often hard for me to tell the difference. On the otpor@onelist.co!
m mailing list (not of the organisation), there is at least one woman from Skopje. She speaks perfect Serbocroatian or whatever name u use.
If u would adapt her knowledge of languages to the political reality which will happen five years from now, you could say that she speaks around 18 languages (I did not try to count)

Mihajlo