Nebojsa Vilic on Sun, 6 Jun 1999 09:05:19 +0000

Syndicate: MKD at VB'99: Press Release No. 2

   PRESS RELEASE No. 2

unoficial presence of Republic of Macedonia at 48th Venice Biennial

  INVITIATION FOR PROMOTION IN VENICE
    of the projects

performance
W.C. (Wonderful Creatures)
Iskra Dimitrova

book
Few Candies for Venice
Art in Macedonia at the End of Millenium
[edited by Nebojsa Vilic]

philatelic objects
First Day Covert
[Studio Azzurra]

    Trattoria `Al Colombo'
     behind
    Teatro `Goldoni'
    tel. 041 523 74 98

   June 10, 1999 - 21.00 o'clock

>>Iskra Dimitrova - Nebojsa Vilic - 'Laurens Coster' Skopje - 'Studio Azzurra' Skopje<<

`Creature Meravigliose'
[`Wonderful Creatures']
Iskra Dimitrova

The Macedonian artist Iskra Dimitrova is going to make the installation and performance WC
(Wonderful Creatures) on a gondola from June 10 - 13, 1999. The gondola will circulate from San
Marco to Giardini from 10.00 - 16.00 with a 15 min. stay at the stations: Giardini, Arsenale, San
Marco. (On June 12, it will circulate through the canals of Venice). Curator of the project is
Nebojsa Vilic.

The concept of the project is basically protest against the rough reality we live in, accented by
the war situation on Balkans. The form of the protest (telling a romantic fairytale on a megaphone)
looks very utopian, giving the ironical distance towards the whole situation and the project itself.

`Few Candice for Venice. Art in Macedonia at the End of Millenium'
[edited by Nebojsa Vilic]

The genesis story of this book is quite strange. It is a book born out of some specific
circumstances in Macedonia in the spring of the new-war year 1999. The initial push came from the
fact that Macedonia is not going to participate the most prestigious Venice Biennial for the second
time. (It was 1995 when it happened for the first time.) Willing to have any kind of presentation
during the days of the opening, the editor of this book decided to give a modest contribution for
the country's presentation in the broader international art community.

First of all, this book tends to present the art in Macedonia at the end of this millennium. It is
meant to give a survey of the recent movements of the artists' thoughts and production, followed by
the art critics' interpretations and definings. The book itself does not have any thesis, it rather
provides a broad scope of images and words, trying to be compatible with the `Zeitgeist' of the
thought at the end of millennium. It is revealing what, when, how and why some of the artistic
practices in Macedonia have appeared, rather than giving some definite answers. Therefore, the
editor will be satisfied if this book provokes some interest for the art in Macedonia in the future.

This book is kind of catalogue-book of art works and texts from and about the art in Macedonia in
the last few years. The first part is consisted of 31 `catalogues' from 31 last individual projects
of 31 Macedonian artists followed by text from respective art critic's review. The second part is
consisted of 25 texts from 8 art critics organized in three parts: When?, How? and Why? trying to
present, locate and interpret the art in Macedonia at the end of this millenium.

`First Day Covert'
[Studio Azzurra]

This project is related to the printing of two occasional coverts referring to the above mentioned
projects as part of the series of coverts. In a sense of a philatelist object they are noting this
unofficial presence of Republic of Macedonia at the 48th Venice Biennial 1999.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[Repiblic of Macedonia is not going to participate officially at the 48th Venice Biennial.
Therefore few people did not want to agree with this and decided to organize few projects to
represent (unofficially) what is going on in the art in Macedonia.]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sponsors of this three projects:

'Prohelvetia' - Zuerich,  KulturKontakt Austria - Wien, Star House Srl. Mestre-Venezia, Avioimpex -
Skopje, Scanpoint - Skopje, Soros Center for Contemporary Arts - Skopje, Macedonia, Open Society
Institute - Macedonia, Fersped - Skopje, Macedonian Lotary, Metal - Skopje, Alkaloid - Skopje,
Makpetrol - Skopje, Meser Vardar Tehnogas - Skopje, Orka Sport - Skopje, Replek - Skopje, Skopje
Browery, Kometal Trade - Skopje, Veledrogerija Panovski - Skopje, Butel - Skopje, Macedonia Tabak -
Skopje, A.D. OZ Makedonija - Skopje.

Nebojsa Vilic, Ph.D.
Faculty of Drama Arts
University 'SS. Cyril and Methodius'
Ruger Boskovic b.b. / P.O.Box 134
MK-91000 Skopje, Macedonia
tel. 389 91 37 05 96  fax 389 91 36 12 56