andreas broeckmann on Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:34:20 +0100 (MET)

Syndicate: The Next 5 Minutes 3 -- Frequently Asked Questions 2.0

Next 5 Minutes Frequently Asked Questions (version 2.0)

Posting-Frequency:      Random
Last-Modified:                  Feb 12, 1999
Maintained by:          Joyce van Otterdijk <info@n5m.org>
                                                & Gerbrand Oudenaarden

CONTENTS:

1.0             About the conference
1.1             What is The Next 5 Minutes?
1.2             Tactical Media?
1.3             Who is organising it?
1.4     Are you an institution?
1.5             What will be the issues at Next 5 Minutes 3?
1.6     What's the form of the event?
1.6.1   Is it an art festival?
1.6.2   Is it an academic conference?
1.7.1   Do you call for papers?
1.7.2   Do you accept proposals for installations and other art works?
1.8             Is this the first time Next 5 Minutes takes place?
1.9     Where can I find the PROGRAMME?
1.10    Why should I come to Next 5 Minutes 3?

2.0             Practical info
2.1             How do I get to the festival venue?
2.2             How much does the public traffic in Holland cost?
2.3             Are there any hotels or youth hostels nearby and how do I
arrange
accommodation?
2.4             What if it rains?

3.0             Subscribe
3.1             What does it cost?
3.2     How do I register.
3.3     What's the ticket system like?
3.4             Can I get a press accreditation?
3.5             Can you pay my flight / accommodation ?

4.0             Screenings
4.1     Will there be screenings
4.2     Can I bring my videotapes?

5.0             Miscellaneous
5.1             What about some music and bands?
5.2             What if I get bored?

6.0             Stay informed
6.1             How can I get the latest news on Next 5 Minutes?
6.2             How can I contact the people behind N5M?
6.3             I can't wait! Public discussion mailinglist

1.0    About the conference

1.1    What is The Next 5 Minutes?
The Next 5 Minutes is a working conference and festival on art, politics,
activism and media. A general role is played by Tactical Media, a term that was
born at the first Next 5 Minutes conference in 1993.

1.2    Tactical Media?
The term 'tactical media' refers to a critical usage and theorisation of media
practices that draw on all forms of old and new, both lucid and sophisticated
media for achieving a variety of specific non-commercial goals and pushing all
kinds of potentially subversive political issues.

1.3    Who is organising it?
The Next 5 Minutes is organised by a lot of people, working independent or for
various organisations. It is a project of the Society for Old and New Media (De
Waag, Amsterdam) in coproduction with De Balie (Amsterdam), De Digitale Stad
(Amsterdam), Paradiso (Amsterdam) and V2_ Organisation (Rotterdam), Bellissima
and Montevideo are some of the many partners. an editorial team and a
production team.  For more info about De Balie, De Digitale Stad, De Waag and
V2 Organisatie, see
http://www.waag.org
http://www.balie.nl
http://www.dds.nl
http://www.v2.nl

The names of the persons who are organising it are listed on the Colophon on
our website:
http://www.n5m.org

1.4     Are you an institution?

We're not an institution, nor an organisation or a company. We are an informal
coalition of people who all have our own networks, activities and projects.
Once every few years, when we feel there is a need, we organise the event.
This may sound to you as if we are a total chaos, but don't worry, we do know
how to organise a great festival.

1.5    What will be the issues at Next 5 Minutes 3?

 The Art of Campaigning
   The 'Art of Campaigning' focuses on the media strategies employed by
   groups around the world who are fostering their social and political aims
   via media campaigns. There are a number of examples of such
   campaigns that use highly diverse strategies and types of media, like the
   Clean Clothes Campaign, the Bandwidth campaign, the McLibel-case and
   the Sans Papiers campaign. Campaigns like these and the specific media
   strategies they employ will be an important topic for N5M3.

The Post Governmental Organisation
   NGOs (Non-Governmental Organisations) have become important actors
   in the arena of international and global politics, taking over tasks that
   traditionally were the domain of nation states. As such, NGOs are part of
   the re-definition of the role of national governments which combines the
   advantage of greater international control of global issues like human
   rights and the ecology, with the disadvantage of a decrease in
   democratic accountability of some of the global actors. The debate
   about such Post-Governmental Organisations deals with the
   double-edged nature of this new form of governance, for which the
   tactical use of networking technologies and other media has proven to
   be a powerful tool. N5M3 will host a unique 'PGO contest', in which
   contributors will present the most and the least effective strategies for
   achieving global presence.

How Low Can You Go
   In a number of conferences and campaigns the economic and political
   structures of access were investigated. Discussions and campaigns like
   these revealed how deeply political the construction of technology is and
   how dramatic its effects in terms of both social exclusion and inclusion.
   Therefore, instead of merely focusing on the tactical possibilities of new
   digital media, new movements for the specific promotion of low-tech, i.e.
   cheap, established and accessible technology, will be presented,
   discussed and developed at N5M3.

Tactical Education
   Besides the formal learning institutions, education is happening all the
   time in cultural and social contexts where people exchange ideas and
   experiences in a concentrated way. Art, culture and social action in the
   field of new media technologies contribute in an important way to
   creating awareness about the powerful effects of media, and help to
   raise media-literacy N5M3 wishes to explore new models of education
   that can play a critical role in processes of social and political change.

 Additional Themes
   Cyber Feminism / Feminism & Media Strategies
   East Asia Forum
   South Asia Forum
   Streaming Media / Convergence of Media
   Amsterdam Media Debate
   Interfund Launch Meeting
   European Affairs
   Screenings
   Insular Technologies

Besides the core programme, Next 5 Minutes 3 offers a range of
platforms and facilities which participants can use. There will be the
possibility to set up meetings, presentations, screenings and debates,
even on short notice. There is a similar open structure for the live radio,
television and internet channels, where individuals and groups can get
time slots to present their own content and discuss the topics related to
tactical media they find of interest. The open structures will exist
besides the edited and curated parts of the event. If you want to do
such a workshop or program, please contact the editorial team at info@n5m.org.

1.6 What's the form of the event?

The Next 5 Minutes 3 is a working conference for a few hundred people. There
will be a few public moments, like the great shows on Friday and Saturday Night
and the film screenings on all days.
What you can expect are:
Workshops, presentations, screenings, parties, debates, forums, acts, public
interviews, live TV production, 24 hour radio.

1.6.1   Is it an art festival?

No, it isn't. There will be a lot of art though.

1.6.2   Is it an academic conference?

No way. But theory does play a role.

1.7.1   Do you call for papers?

No we don't. There are other ways to contribute to the event though. Read on.

1.7.2   Do you accept proposals for installations and other art works?

Yes we do, but only if it is 'tactical'. And don't count on anything, because
we really don't have any space to show anything. We are mainly a working
conference where discussion and exchange takes place. Send us your proposal and
our editorial board will discuss it. Maybe you're lucky and you can present
your project at the conference. Send all your proposals to: info@n5m.org

1.8    Is this the first time Next 5 Minutes takes place?

Next 5 Minutes did two earlier conferences, in 1993 and in 1996.  For
information about those conferences you can check the Archive of Next 5 Minutes
on our website:
http://www.n5m.org

1.9     Where can I find the PROGRAMME?

You can find the programme as it develops on the website: http://www.n5m.org
We want to be up-to-date, add the latest developments in the world of tactical
media to the programme, so changes and updates will appear all the time and we
will not haste ourselves in finishing the programme. You may have to wait until
end-February before you see anything.

1.10    Why should I come to Next 5 Minutes 3?
When you're in the least in doubt of being interested (professionally,
intellectually or just for fun) in everything and anything that has to do with
what we call 'tactical media', you should come. The Next 5 Minutes, that's the
place where it happens. Seriously.

2.0    Practical info

2.1    How do I get to the festival venue?
The event takes place in the heart of the centre of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

By plane:
Fly to Amsterdam Airport ('Schiphol'). Then take the direct train to Amsterdam
Central Station and read on.

By train:
Wherever you are, take the train to Amsterdam Central Station. Walking out of
the station hall, you find the tramstops for trams. Take tram 1, 2 or 5 and ask
the tramdriver to stop at the Leidseplein. This is where most people get off.
With your back to the Stadsschouwburg, you can see the Kleine-Gartmanplantsoen.
On your right, at about 50 m. walking you can find  De Balie.
>From other directions in the city besides the Central Station, you can
>also get
to the Leidseplein with trams 6, 7, 10 and 20.
There is no subwaystation within 10 minutes walking. If you're in the subway,
change for the tram at Central Station or Weesperplein.

By car:
We strongly recommend you not to come by car. This way you avoid problems like
a full parking, expensive parking-costs or your car stolen when you were just
looking the other way.

To find your way around by tram, which is the easiest way to get around in
Amsterdam, check the following site:
http://www.odyssey.on.ca/~europrail/amster.htm

In the Tourist Guide that's in this information-package, you can find a small
map of Amsterdam, with the main roads on it.

2.2     How much does the public traffic in Holland cost?

2.3    Are there any hotels or youth hostels nearby and how do I arrange
accommodation?

The N5M3 production office will arrange accommodation only if you were
officially invited as a speaker. Otherwise, you'll have to organise
accommodation yourself.

We made a list for you with the hotels nearby De Balie and Paradiso
http://www.n5m.org
There are also two NYHC hostels on the list. They're very cheap, so don't
expect the most comfortable bed. When you're in need of new friends, this is
the way, because you're usually sharing your room with other people. In any
hotel, you can rent a safe to store your valuable stuff. In the City Hostel
Vondelpark, there's a possibility to store your stuff in a safe as well. You
pay ? 3,- per 24 hrs. for a safe in the City Hostel Vondelpark.

To get to the City Hostel Vondelpark:
By train: from Central Station you take tram number 1, 2 or 5. You get off at
Leidseplein. From Leidseplein you walk towards the Mariott Hotel. In front of
the Mariott Hotel you turn left. Zandpad is the 2nd street to the right (small
street just before the park entrance).
*The hostel is open 24 hours
*The reception is open from 7.00 till 24.00 hours.
*Breakfast is served from 7.30 till 9.30 hours.
*The bedrooms are being cleaned between 10.45 and 14.30 hours.
*On the day of the arrival the rooms are available from 14.30 hours.
*Check out on the day of departure before 10.15 hours.
To arrange accommodation, just call them and they will be very happy to welcome
you.

2.4    What if it rains?

Take an umbrella when you go outside and keep on smiling, because the
conference is completely programmed inside.

3.0     Subscribe

3.1     What does it cost?

Only 65 Dutch guilders (roughly 30 ECU or US$ 30) for a three-day festival
pass. This pass gives you access to all rooms and events, including the dance
nights in Paradiso and the film screenings. Meals, drinks, accommodation and
the reader are not included.

3.2     How do I register.

Please visit the website between February 15 and March 1, 1999 and fill in the
online registration form. You can also print out the form and fax it to us. You
don't have to pay in advance, you can do that at the festival counter when you
arrive. You can also send us your address

3.3     What's the ticket system like?

There is a festival pass (valid for three days). You can also buy daytickets
and some events have their own tickets. Don't even think about it. Just buy a
three-day festival pass, which is also the cheapest, which will give access to
all events, and you will have no more worries.

3.4     Can I get a press accreditation?

The conference is about tactical media. Everybody at the festival will be
press, more or less,  so we have no press passes.

3.5             Can you pay my flight / accommodation ?

Sorry. Our budget doesn't allow us to pay your flight or accommodation. If
budget is a limitation, just find a cheap way to get here. The conference fee
is really low. Amsterdam, like every big city,  has some cheap youth hostels
that are listed on the site:
http://www.n5m.org

4.0             Screenings

4.1     Will there be screenings

Yes, there will be screenings. Video and 35mm. Every night on the big screens
of De Balie and/or Paradiso. The editorial team might still consider
suggestions. Email: cinema@n5m.org.

4.2     Can I bring my videotapes and CD-ROMs?

Please do. During the conference you'll always meet people that are interested
in your work. At the festivalvenue there will be a possibility to screen your
video-tapes. In the dark cellars of one of the venues there will be ample
opportunity to look at tapes alone or in groups and show tapes to each other.
If you would like your tape or film to be included in the database and
catalogue, please send it to us in advance, so we have the time to register it.
Your tape will, with your permission, be permanently stored for research and
education in the archive of the International Institute for Social History,
Amsterdam.
Please contact Giselle Micolo at cinema@n5m.org with further questions.

5.0    Miscellaneous

5.1     What about some music and bands?

The Next 5 Minutes 3 doesn't end when the sun goes down. Every night, you've
got the possibility to visit a great party where you can relax, listen to the
music, dance, or debate if you like. Party on till early in the morning to see
the live broadcasting at 8.30 hrs. of The Breakfast Club or have a Dutch
breakfast in the Next Five Minutes Coffee  Shop.

5.2    What if I get bored?

Don't worry, you won't.
When you decide to stay longer in The Netherlands, Amsterdam offers you things
you have never dreamed of. Check out the following sites to get information
about nightlife, shopping, eating and drinking etcetera.
http://www.amsterdamhotspots.nl
http://www.timeout.com/amsterdam
http://www.amstel.com/a/index_guides.asp