Inke Arns on Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:56:36 +0100

Syndicate: Kovats: OSTRANENIE ARTISTS APPELL!!

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:59:27 +0100
Subject: BOUNCE syndicate: Non-member submission from ["kovats"
<kovats@kolleg.bauhaus-dessau.de>]
Subject: OSTRANENIE ARTISTS APPELL!!
From: "kovats" <kovats@kolleg.bauhaus-dessau.de>

!!!!  FORMER OSTRANENIE MEDIA FORUM ARTISTS APPELL !!!!

As most, many or all of you know ostranenie - the international electronic
media forum which has been taking place on a biannual basis at the bauhaus
dessau foundation in germany since 1993 - will no longer be held in its
usual exuberant form. Nevertheless something will happen somewhere sometime
this year - as a form of wrap up and reflection upon the course of media
development in eastern and central europe which ostranenie has been
examining.

We are currently thus in the process of preparing the publication of a
number of ostranenie relevant documents including a CD-ROM. The CD-ROM,
which is to be produced at C3 in Budapest in cooperation with the Bauhaus
Dessau Foundation, is intended to compile the content of the three
ostranenie publications (which for 93 and 95 are no longer available) in a
multi-media form using text, video, photography, sound clips etc. We have
been extremely slow however in getting this initiative off the ground due to
budget cuts and organisational changes at the Bauhaus and various
bureaucratic problems with state funding. Our proposals have now however
been accepted in principle by our major funding agency - the new and ominous
all powerful MDM (the Central German Media Funding Council).

Among a number of questions which need to be fulfilled in order to get the
funding necessary to develop this project is whether or not the artists
involved agree with the representation of their work/data/image etc on this
CD-ROM. We had planned on contacting all the former ostranenie participants
who have been published in the ostranenie catalogues once we have the OK to
proceed with the project. The MDM would like to know however whether this
agreement exists as a pre-requisite to their funding of the project (a
classic Catch-22 situation common in this part of the universe).

The next - and probable final meeting with the MDM will be 9.30 am, next
Wednesday, January 20th at the Bauhaus Dessau. We would thus ask artists
listed at the end of this mailing to reply to the attached form of
"Agreement in Principle" before this date. I realise that this is rather
soon, and we will be contacting you again in any case with more detailed
information about the project. Nevertheless a preliminary show of interest
will help get things moving, and hopefully convince the boys in Leipzig to
allow the project to proceed.

If possible please reply via signed fax - or if you can, via signed email.
If these two are not possible til then, a simple email reply will do for the
time being.

You may respond to the following fax numbers:

**49 340 6508 326
**49 340 6508 404
**49 30 326 025 45

or email addresses:

kovats@kolleg.bauhaus-dessau.de
intertwilight@compuserve.com

Thanks - and if you have any questions in the meantime, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

All the best,

Stephen Kovats

*******    ostranenie 99 CD-ROM  -  Agreement in Principle   *******

please fill in and return - signed at best - no later than 9.00 am (MEZ)
Wednesday January 20th

My/Our work has been previously published in the catalogues of

    ostranenie 93         ostranenie 95          ostranenie 97

(please mark the appropriate year(s))

and I/we am/are interested in being included in the new ostranenie 99 CD-ROM
to be published by the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation in cooperation with C3,
Budapest.

YES                    NO                    (PLEASE MARK CORRESPONDINGLY!)

Name(s):

Title of Work(s): (if different than as listed in the catalogue(s))

snail mail address:

email:

url:

tel (with all area codes):

fax (with all area codes):

place and date:                     signature:

LIST OF FORMER OSTRANENIE PARTICIPANTS

(If you were a participant at any of the three fora AND included in the
official catalogue, and your name DOES NOT appear on the list and/or is
misspelled, then please also fill in the form and send it to us. Some names
may have gotten mixed out due to institution or group titles etc... we would
be grateful for any appropriate changes!)

Kinema Ikon
Abghari Haleh
Abramovic Velimir
Aktouganova Irena