melinda jørgensen on Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:03:53 +0100

Re: Syndicate: Prix Ars .Net Judging Article

andreas  wrote
 >given the number of completely useless sites that get submitted (incl. the
>Rochester Mounted Police Homepage ...) it's not possible to look at
>everything at length; but at the prix ars .net jury we did look at
>everything, and at those things which were not disqualfied immediately, at
>some length. to make the jurying process manageable it will be vital to
>raise the threshold of submissions, which is really a responsibility of the
>artists to be very considerate about the projects that they want to propose.

i would suggest that the responsibility of ensuring that  jury processes
are equitable to both artists and jurors is that of the initiating body
itself.. not the artists who submitt work. it sounds like the jury  process
was stressfull as well for those involved, and im sure the intent of the
jurors was of the highest order under thoes conditions.. i've worked in the
arts for 15 years and i know that when  people enter a prize, submitt for a
show etc they do so in good faith. that a committee may consider a
proportion of the submissions are total crap is merely a reflection of that
committee and the fashion of the moment....,  "good art' is totally
subjective and what constitutes "good art" is about as stable as this years
favourite nail polish color.

the point is that artists feel like their entry is not respected, has not
been given a fair viewing or have proof that their site has not been viewed
at all..  being an artist, especially a digital artist is for most a very
precarious financial and social position, and more artists (including
already well known ones) are becoming frustrated by what looks like unfair
treatment in one of the very few arenas where actually getting some income
directly from your practice is possible..

melinda

 melinda  jørgensen
   www.subtle.net