micz flor on Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:05:40 +0100

Syndicate: CRASH MEDIA - call #2

              -------====###====-------

         _______                       __
        /   ___ \____________    _____|  |__
       /    \  \/\_  __ \__  \  /  ___/  |  \
       \     \____|  | \// __ \_\___ \|   |  \
        \________/|__|  (______/______\___|__/
            _____              ___ __
           /     \   ____   __| _/|__|____
          /  \ /  \_/ __ \ / __ | |  \__  \
         /    |    \  ___// /_/ | |  |/ __ \_
         \____|____/\_____\_____| |__(______/

                C R A S H   M E D I A #2

        Where Media Reaches its Critical Mass
       http://www.yourserver.co.uk/crashmedia/

                call for contributions

              -------====###====-------

  !*!*!*! Issue 2's 'Extra Special' section: !*!*!*!
  !*!*!*!                                    !*!*!*!
  !*!*!*!         MEDIA & ETHNICITY          !*!*!*!

Beyond the Electronic Frontier - a Wilderness?
   Transistor Culture/Cultural Transistors
      Coffee-Code-Coda
         Penny Papers - Media Spaces in the Semiopolis
            Mutiny on the Mouse Pad
               Galleries Without Walls
                  Set Top Semtex

'Disorienting Rhythms' for MTV Dervishes
   The New Obedience: Unbundling Consumer Tactics
      My Mate Murdoch
         Not the 9 o'clock Views
            Trans-Asia Express
               All the Fun of the Glare
                  Cornershops for A-Centred Living

              -------====###====-------

IN BRIEF

Crash Media is bracing itself for the launch of its
second print issue - another shotgun publishing escapade.
Crash Media is a publication with a split personality;
part tabloid newspaper and part website, complete with
discussion threads and a low-interference editorial
policy. [Feel free to enter the online debate at any
moment and be prepared to find your statement in print.]
Right now we are calling for contributions for the next
print issue to be released as in the middle of May.

      *.gif *.txt *.wav *.ra *.doc *.pic

Deadline for contributions: 30th of April '98 !!!

Crash Media is (looking at) independent media practice;
taking media criticism off the bookshelf and stacking it
on the flyer table. Find Tech/Specs on CM and
contributions below.

              -------====###====-------

  !*!*!*! Issue 2's 'Extra Special' section: !*!*!*!
  !*!*!*!                                    !*!*!*!
  !*!*!*!         MEDIA & ETHNICITY          !*!*!*!

Issue 2 will also include the following permanent
sections(->Medium Roast, ->Culture Club, ->Under The
Needle, ->Access Denied, ->Balzac Nation, ->Strangeways).

Contributions in many guises required: deep undercover
analyses, sub-cutaneous cuts, bi-lateral dissections,
polemics for the hard of reason, trinkets for the virtual
mantelpiece, eye-sores for the foot-sore, nectar for the
hive mind, befuddlement for conspiracists, personal
highlights and urban low-lights.

In other words: articles, logos, interviews, artwork,
reviews, literature, listings, cartoons and info-blips.

We favour text within the 500 to 800 word limit - and we
envy the capacity to make a strong point with 200 words!
Scans should be 300dpi and stuffed, send as attachments
(MAC or PC) - stamp-based mail is just as good. Currently
we are not able to pay contributors. Every contributor
will receive ten copies of Crash Media.

              -------====###====-------

TECH-SPECS

Crash Media has been published in print as a free, bi-
monthly tabloid, since the middle of March. Printed on
tabloid paper, each issue has a print run of 5,000. Crash
Media is based in Salford/Manchester and London (UK).
Each issue consists of 12 pages. Crash Media is being
distributed intensively in the North West of England and
London, and selectively world-wide. We are also open to
any suggestions for worthwhile locations.

Crash Media is a joint venture, defining the agenda of
the 'Revolting' media lab in Manchester/Salford UK in
Aug/Sept (temp URL: http://www.art-bag.net/revolting),
Salford University and 'Skyscraper Digital Publishing'.

Crash Media is extended through a digital forum.
Threads generated in Crash Media on-line will be
selectively reprinted in the next issue. The public
access server in Manchester/ Salford will be set up over
the next few weeks and will host Crash Media - URL will
follow shortly, any domain name suggestions welcomed.

http://www.yourserver.co.uk/crashmedia/

!! To receive a free print copy of Crash Media within
!! the UK, send a 1st class stamped and self addressed
!! A4 or A5 envelope to the below address.

              -------====###====-------

CONTACTS / ADDRESS

Micz Flor, Josephine Berry
[crashmedia@yourserver.co.uk]

Crash Media
University of Salford
Art and Design Technology Research Unit
Peru Street
UK-Salford M3 6EQ

fax: +44.171.6134052

Micz Flor (micz@metamute.com)

[t/f]+44.171.7395331 [t]+44.161.2956157 [a]http://www.art-bag.net
[b]http://www.icf.de/workspace [c]http://www.metamute.com
[q]"There is no administrative production of meaning."