Hermit Foundation on Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:11:45 +0200

Syndicate: symposium-exhibition "Near the Beginning"

n  e  a  r     t  h  e    b  e  g  i  n  n  i  n  g
international, interdisciplinary symposium-exhibition
- -
CENTER FOR METAMEDIA, Plasy Monastery, Czech Republic
- -
o  p  e  n  i  n  g      3  0   A  u  g  u  s  t     f  r  o  m   1 5 . 0 0
  t o   l a t e

"The discovery of a stable center is the same thing
as creating the world. Its repetition."
Mircea Eliade

>From August 15, approximately 30 artists -- from various disciplines and
continents -- will begin to work at the Center for Metamedia, an artist
residency program and project center located on the grounds of a former
monastery in Plasy, west Bohemia.

The outcome of the participant's approach to the symposium's theme,
dialogue with the place, interaction with each other & will be presented to
the public from A U G U S T   3 0    t  o    O C T O B E R  1.

The opening day-to-night events on  A U G U S T  3 0  include the
inauguration of the exhibition, video & film screenings, plus music
performances by
Christophe Charles .. Michael Delia .. eye scratch .. Vojtech & Irena Havel
... Rajesh Mehta .. Petr Matuszek .. Petr Nikl .. Chino Shuichi .. and others

- symposium-Exhibition participants include
Ekki Bohnel .. Michael Delia .. Indrek Erm .. eye scratch .. Zuzana
Fusterova .. Daniel Hanzlik .. Igor Hlavinka .. Christophe Charles .. Vladimir Kokolia .. Anezka Kovalova ..  Soren Krigerson .. Petr Kvicala ... Frantisek Kowalowsky.. KW .. Robert Langh & Orsolya Nyitrai .. Jeroem Meijer .. David Mills .. Ullrich Mollgaard .. Pavel Mrkus .. Frank Mundt .. Rait Parg .. Jiri Pliestik .. Viliam Poltikovic .. Endo Ritsuko .. Alexander Roitburd .. Christina La Sala .. Chino Shuichi .. Mustafa Skopjlak .. Ondra Smeykal ... Arichi Soichi .. Janos Sugar .. Jan Svoboda .. Mirsad Sehic .. Daniel Sperl .. Sasaoka Takashi .. Krista Thomson .. Asoako Tokitsu .. Amano Toyohisa .. Brian Tripp .. Robert Urbasek .. Petr Vesely .. Vladimir Vimr .. Martin Zet

- exhibition (only) participants include
Tomas Hlavina .. Dalibor Chatrny .. Jaroslav Koran .. Inge Koskova .. Miro Koval .. David Mozny .. Jiri Melzer .. Jan Merta .. Pavel Mika .. Mare Mikoff .. Cestmir Suska .. Jasan Zoubek

- n e a r   t h e   b e g i n n i n g
It is beginning to appear as though many aesthetic, ethical, and physical
structures, which have been considered invariable and objectively given,
are rather the formations of our perception and senses. We nonetheless
still continue to search for some kind of central germ, a firm framework, a
life line that gives the world its shape and meaning. Is there a common
center where we could all meet? The Near the Beginning project seeks to
explore a broad range of approaches to and interpretations of  this given
theme. In doing so, it could help to clarify the contemporary perception of
this problem.

- organizers
Igor Hlavinka, Vladimir Vimr, Christophe Charles, Milos Vojtechovsky
with Jo Williams, Frantisek Kowalowsky, Martina Tomaskova, Ivo Kornatovsky, Marketa Hurychova

- funders
Pro Helvetia - Ost West
Japan Foundation /  Hermit Foundation /  Soros Center for Contemporary Art
- Prague, Budapest, Estonia / Open Society Fund / Royal Netherlands Embassy

- travel directions
Plasy is located 100 km west of Prague, and 25 km north of Plzen. The
monastery is in the town's center.
- by car - D5 highway from Prague to Plzen, road 27 from Plzen to Plasy
- by train - from Prague's main station 8:58 to Plzen / from Plzen 10:50 to
Plasy (arrival 11:40)

- accommodations
availability limited, for assistance contact Hermit Foundation in advance

- Center for Metamedia-Plasy
an international, interdisciplinary artist residency program and project
center established in 1992
thematic project and study residencies for artists, theoreticians,
curators, scientists, students are available May 15 to October 15
symposia, workshops, exhibitions, and other projects held at the Center are
organized by or in collaboration with the Hermit Foundation
catalogues and music recordings are available from projects since 1992
(some editions "sold-out")
** please contact us for more information and application details **

- Hermit Foundation
provides support to experimental, non-commerical cultural activities in the
Czech Republic
most resources are dedicated to the Center for Metamedia-Plasy
additional, limited funding is given to projects involving interaction
among regional and international artists, such as
>inter-disciplinary symposia
>thematic project & study residencies
>professional conferences, seminars, and workshops
>publications
>exhibitions
>festivals
>concerts and theater performances

Hermit Foundation / Center for Metamedia
Klaster
331 01  Plasy
Czech Republic
tel./fax 00 420 182 - 2909