ISEA Liverpool on Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:51:08 +0100

final postcard from Sofia

Nina Czegledy writes in her FINAL POSTCARD FROM SOFIA

>>Dear Syndicate Members:
>>
>>Many apologies for a very very belated summary "postcard" from Crossing
>>Over 1.
>>The last days were so hectic, that we were unable to find time and
>>immediately after the end,  both Iliyana and I (Nina) left to our
>>respective destinations -
>>after all these excuses here we go from the beginning:
>>
>>In our introductory session each of the participants outlined their
>>experience, goals and aims. During the first week of the Crossing Over 1.
>>workshop, conceptual issues and video production strategies, including low
>>and high technology approaches,advanced video effect were discussed and
>>demonstrated by Nina.  In addition to evening public screenings, our guest
>>lecturers Marina Griznic, Tapio Makela and Susanna Paasonen, each spent an
>>afternoon session with the participants, discussing media concepts and
>>their own experiences.
>>
>>At the workshop we moved to practical sessions focusing on the topic of
>>"body as a landscape", using material from a live shoot. For 2D and 3D
>>animation and various digital effects demonstrations, still-image
>>contributions were contributed by the participants.
>>
>>And then we had a very interesting development. By the end of the first
>>week, a group of participants, who had previous video experience developed
>>a video performance idea with the original title of Synthetic Street
>>Performance.
>>The first performance was quickly and efficiently organized for Saturday
>>afternoon. In addition to workshop participants, students of the Academy
>>carried chairs to the Terra Nova store and viewed the parade of live models
>>dressed in synthetic furs, in the shopwindow. Everybody became enthusiastic
>>and  over the next few days all the participants became involved in the
>>following performances. Based on various concepts and ideas we carried our
>>chairs and marked our "Terra Nova" all over Sofia, from parks to metro
>>construction to a church garden. We hope to edit the tapes (from 3 cameras)
>>in the second phase of our workshop.
>>
>>This is our manifesto for Terra Nova:
>>"Terra Nova means "New Land". With a few chairs, we the participants in the
>>international workshop Crossing Over, mark and independent Territory, which
>>for the moment might be ours, as well as yours. Yet we do not conquer it - it
>>is free, free of taxes, free of rent and free of landlords. Our camera eye
>>tries to capture and match our perspective of this place with all its
>>temporary joys and miseries to yours. We are crossing over our Terra thus
>>rediscovering it and making it Nova awakened. Let's enjoy its hospitality
>>together."
>>
>>In addition to our joint Terra Nova project - each participant - on their
>>own level- will develop a video concept for the spring workshop. Ideas and
>>practical considerations will be discussed with Nina by e-mail. Upon
> [...]

And a very essential closing line, saying BIG SPECIAL THANK YOU to Nina,
Marina, Tapio, Susanna and all the workshop participants for your
incredible rewarding efforts to turn Crossing Over I into a real success.
CHEERS! Yours, Illie