Andreas Broeckmann on Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:57:34 +0200

Re: Syndicate: Jaka Zeleznikar: _NN - what happend?

dear jaka,

i was away for 2 weeks and actually considered leaving the list because it
became utterly useless and unreadable for me. i must admit that i was
relieved to find the situation as it is now. the insults about me that nn
is posting to people it thinks are my superiors are enough for anybody to
push the red button, if you ask me.

>Why censorship?

we have had this discussion before, and i just want to make my own point
once again, other points have been made by others for months, fuelling nn's
viral motor. i'd rather shut up and put on the breaks.

most importantly:
1. create the free-syndicate@jaka.org now!
2. sb it to the syndicate list!
3. invite nn and the nn fanclub to leave the syndicate list and join this
new list!
4. enjoy the full, integer-ated syndicate pleasure!

>I dint's saw mails to ban some people who made some stupid and insulting
>remarks of NN.

i would be curious to see messages that have been anywhere near the level
of insult that nn usually produces.

>Is there now a special state of mind required to be on syndicate list?

for me, a mailing list is a social space that requires a certain attitude
which is also necessary in any other social environment - you listen to
other people, you only SHOUT when absolutely necessary, you respect the
positions of others, you tell about your own ideas and give others the room
to talk about their's. the syndicate list has, for over 5 years, been a
mellow, sometimes boring, sometimes highly active channel which has allowed
a multitude of people to announce their projects, get in touch with each
other, meet, play, love, ..., each other. for me, part of the quality of
this channel has been that it has always been open and unmoderated - even
though some people have put a lot of effort into keeping it running. like
many others, i feel attached to the list and the community behind it, and
you will understand that it was a strange thing to see it being taken over
by nn in the course of six months or so. the volume of her messages is
unmanageable. the quality is, as others have suggested, mixed, the tone at
times - difficult to take. i don't like filters. i like this list because
it makes sense for me to listen to all the different voices. i don't want
to censor what comes through. at the same time, i ask for some sort of
respect for my position as somebody who is also on this list. this implies
not being shouted at all the time. it more importantly implies not being
spat on and insulted for writing this message. it implies not seeing
messages that call me a criminal, a murderer, nn writing to people saying
that she has to leave germany because she has received a death threat from
me, inke and lorenzo. give me a break. either she is a virtual persona, in
which case she should better understand her digital nature, or she is a
person with the illusion of a physical body like myself, in which case she
should maybe seek some professional help.

the requirements for being on this list are pretty limited, you will agree.
but i find it hard to believe that you would not also call nn's
list-behaviour 'extreme'. i understand the point about a total freedom of
speech, which is why i would have left the list and started something new,
rather than having to endure the integer-ated syndicate. but i cannot deny
that i am happier now.

i really suggest that you start another list and study the dynamics of nn's
communication; you would even enjoy it. if this list get's so boring that
the last of the 480 subscriber leaves, we'll delete the piece of software
that it really is. until then, let's doodle on.

greetings,
-a