Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:14:53 +0200

Re: Syndicate: about Macedonian crisis

dear friends,

i understand eleni's worry, but i completely agree with melentie.

>	As an artist I want to ask: do you think that sending
>	this messages you've helped this kind of conflict to
>	be resolved?
>
>Do you think that I should stop forwarding information?
>I remember when Edi Muka was sending reports from Albania during 1997
>which was traumatic for Albania. This is also a traumatic year. This
>time for Macedonia (for Macedonians, Albanians, Serbs, Turks, Roma,
>Valachians, and Others living here).
>
>I think that  by sending information people are more informed about the
>nature of the conflict. This always helps resolve a situation.

i have been reading some of those messages carefully, and like all press
reports, they are frequently contradictory! this is the best we can get in
order to cut through the supposed 'objectivity' of one or the other
position. sure, the situation in macedonia is messy and dangerous, and
different people will have different ideas about why that is. whether
slobodan clinton the great is responsible or the saviour, and whether
rugova can pull it off, and whether this conflict is about nationalism,
oil, drugs, land, politics, or stupidity. i think that most of us are
intelligent and postmodern enough to know that there is no one answer, but
that we need a very clear language of pacifism and mutual respect to avoid
such situations from taking over (and costing) lives. for me it has been
very clear that melentie and kalina are forwarding the messgaes to give a
broader perspective on what is happening, and it should be seen as an
invitation to others to offer their perspective. so long as we don't get
too dogmatic about the different positions, this can actually help to at
least understand some of what is going on.

on this list, as melentie has also said, we are not at war, but in dialogue.

maybe this is a good moment to mention that there are discussions about a
syndicate meeting to be held in the bulgarian town of plovdiv in the
context of the CFront01 event; the meeting would probably be around june
7/9 and would, no doubt, have to deal with cultural strategies of
cooperation in the balkan region and beyond. getting to know each other
more, catching up with old friends, making plans and jokes, and maybe
writing another manifesto - all good reasons to come to plovdiv!

with greetings from berlin,
-a