Melentie Pandilovski on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:01:49 +0200

Re: Syndicate: about Macedonian crisis

My dear Eleni Laperi,

	The first thing I do every morning is to read the
	e-mails from the syndicate to my box. It is one of the
	pritiest things internet offers: a fast communication
	and make you feel part of a great and equal members of
	the global community.

As one of the founders of the Syndicate, and organizer of a few events
for the Syndicate, I can say that I am more than happy that you find the
list useful.

	But there are some days I have been very impressed of
	some messages sent by Melentie Pandilovski and some
	others. And my first thought was: how it is possible
	for people who consider themselves as artists or
	cultural activists to be so aggressive and intolerant
	in the beginning of the 21st century?

What aggressiveness and intolerance are you referring to?
Towards whom? Please be more precise, as I don't understand what you are
trying to convey.

	Reading those messages people do realize that the only
	problem in Balkans, source of troubles and crimes
	are "Albanian rebels and Albanian Mafia".

Do you mean the forwarded information by the press?
It is true that several people from Macedonia have been sending
reports or peace appeals.  Most of the reports are sent by
Kalina Bunevska which are comprised of pure information about the
current situation in Macedonia, and the artist Iskra Dimitrova who has
been sending Peace appeals.
So, as to the information sent via Syndicate, you could have seen the
information comprises of
- Daily briefing from Macedonian press about Macedonian crisis
(This also includes the ethnic Albanian press in Macedonia)
- Daily briefing from international press about Macedonian crisis
(This also includes the press from Kosovo and Albania).

I have more or less been inactive on the list as
there was not much traffic regarding this issue. This is a pity as two
years ago during the Kosovo crisis there was a really fantastic
Syndicate member turn out.
We even had a whole meeting (two day was it?) devoted to the theme in
Budapest, and came up with a bunch of products such as the FUTURE STATE
OF BALKANIA (Kiasma, Helsinki), and some other.
For the moment, a much better dialog regarding the situation in
Macedonia is conducted on the ZAMIR list.

	It has been quoted the Macedonian Constitution and all
	the rights Albanian "minority" joy de jure. But this
	"minority" is 30-35% of the Macedonian population, and
	in the hight administration the Albanian employers
	Albanians have are only 4% of the chairs.

So, it is numbers that are important? I always had the impression that
it has to be the individual that is the biggest asset. Who knows, maybe
I was wrong?
For the sake of the truth I have to disagree with your presentation of
percentages. And I will use an independent source, CIA World Factbook
According to their sources about Macedonia: Population (2000): 2.04 million
Area: 25,333 sq. km. (9,781 sq. miles)
Ethnic groups (1994): Macedonians 67%, Albanians 23%, Turks 4%, Gypsies (Roma) 2%, Serbs 2%, others 2%

	It is not mentioned that the Albanian government was
	the first government of Balkans who accepted the new
	Macedonian state, and not Greece.

Hold it now! I had great disputes about this issue with Valentin
Bielinsky on the ZAMIR list who said that Bulgaria was the first country
in the world to have recognized the Republic of Macedonia, and being
first was much more then a simple diplomatic recognition.
At this moment I cannot remember too well who was first
but something tells me that Valentin could be right.
You can also discuss this issue with him.

	The Albanian borders has been opened for the
	Macedonian-s citizens, and there has been not the same
	for the Albanians who wanted to cross the Macedonian
	border.

There is a visa regime which is equal for citizens of both countries.
Macedonians need visas to go to Albania and Albanians need visas
for Macedonia. Visas are easily obtained in the embassies in Skopje and
Tirana but also at the border I think.
I remember I had to pay 10$ for mine in order to go to Tirana for
the Syndicate meeting.
I know what is confusing you though. For a time being (I don't know if
it is still valid) ethnic Albanians from Macedonia didn't have to pay
for the visa in order to go to Albania. This was a decision taken by
the Albanian government. Me and Dusko Drakalski were the only ones from
52 passengers (all with Macedonian passports) that had to pay visas.
I remember I did a lot of complaining because of this "discrimination
act".

	I am not a politician, and I don't want to apologize
	anyone, because I don't understand what is happened.
	But I don't know any conflict ever in Balkans
	initiated by the Albanians.

Well, this is one of the reasons why the Syndicate was initiated.
To get information otherwise hard to find in one's own country.

	As an artist I want to ask: do you think that sending
	this messages you've helped this kind of conflict to
	be resolved?

Do you think that I should stop forwarding information?
I remember when Edi Muka was sending reports from Albania during 1997
which was traumatic for Albania. This is also a traumatic year. This
time for Macedonia (for Macedonians, Albanians, Serbs, Turks, Roma,
Valachians, and Others living here).

I think that  by sending information people are more informed about the
nature of the conflict. This always helps resolve a situation.

	As artists or cultural activists do you think that
	this is the right language to treat these problems in
	the 2001 and to give information?

Will you feel better if people didn't send information?
Or is it more likely that you will feel void?

Melentie Pandilovski