Syndicate admin on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:55:00 +0100 (CET)

Syndicate: Technologies To The People Annual Report 2000

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:35:42 +0200
From: Technologies To The People <tttp@irational.org>
Subject: Technologies To The People Annual Report 2000

Technologies To The People Annual Report 2000
Presentation
february 28 2001
CENTRO CULTURAL DE LA FUNDACI? "la Caixa"
Passeig de Sant Joan, 108
08037 BARCELONA
Espa?a
info: mediateca.bcn.fundacio@lacaixa.es
Tel. 93 476 86 51 / 52
Fax 93 476 86 56

To our shareholders

Technologies To The People? had another remarkable year in 2000. We made major
advances in all our key businesses. The demand for great software that helps
people work, communicate, and learn is stronger than ever. Our products are
doing well because they deliver on these needs.

iStreet Access Machine (iSAM) is proving a great success. Customers appreciate
its ability to work better, while its robustness means that iSAM is generating
less than half the customer calls of its predecessor (SAM). Integrated with the
latest Internet technology, iSAM helps our customers leverage the interactivity
of the Internet with the intelligence of the PC. iSAM is making deeper inroads
onto the streets, based on its productivity, reliability, and lower total cost
of ownership. And iStreet, a compact version of the Street operating system
designed for a wide range of intelligent devices, is finding its way into
everything from interactive televisions to hand-held computers.

Our productivity applications continue to set the standard for features,
functionality, and integration. iStreet 2001, which is scheduled to come out in
the first half of 2000, will take each of these factors to a significantly
higher level, offering a simpler, personalized interface that learns each user's
working style and adapts to it, plus many other productivity-enhancing features.

Technologies To The People Linux Server and Open Source applications continue to
make solid progress in the marketplace, and are now the clear enterprise
solution of choice over the various Windows/UNIX-based platforms. Technologies
To The People Linux Server will raise our platform's scalability to even higher
levels, while offering customers the lowest possible total cost of ownership. In
many installations our enterprise solutions already deliver the level of
performance achieved by mainframes, combined with the benefits of the low cost
PC model. Our goal now is to take that model even deeper into the
mission-critical computing market.

Our interactive media and services strategy continues to advance, focusing on
online services, packaged software, and hardware. Our strategy is to break down
the barriers between online and offline products and services, making it even
simpler and more enjoyable for our customers to experience the power of the
Internet.

Another important effort for us is bringing the power of software and the
Internet to the television with our Technologies To The People WebTV? product.
We plan to more than double the installed base of users during the next year
based on the very positive word-of-mouth this product has generated.

Technologies To The People intends to invest heavily in all these businesses, in
the firm belief that online services will eventually be a key element of our
relationship with customers. But as I wrote last year, online is still at an
early stage of development. However, we are learning fast and I am seeing
increasing synergy between our online work and our software products.

The power of innovation

Our product goals require breakthrough innovation. During fiscal 2001
Technologies To The People will invest more in research and development, broadly
defined. Our research centers now employ experts in everything from graphics to
decision theory and advanced linguistics.

Much of Technologies To The People's research and development is focused on
making our products easier to use, even as the underlying software grows more
complex, so our customers don't have to learn as many utilities and commands.
Simplifying the user interface is our top priority. Natural language processing
automatically detects which language you are typing in, and assigns the
appropriate proofing tools and user interface. If you inadvertently delete some
of the application's files, it's smart enough to repair the damage.

Technologies To The People will also unify and simplify how PCs and networks
store and handle information. At present, information is scattered about file
systems, message stores, Web caches, directory services, and databases. This is
complicated for developers and system managers, and confusing for customers.
Sharing a calendar across the Internet, or personal information across Web
sites, is very difficult. By unifying storage across all these media,
Technologies To The People will help make information anytime, anywhere a
reality. As consumers require all their information to be accessible from any
Internet device and any location, the boundary between Web sites and software
products will blur. In time, computers will see, speak, read handwriting,
listen, and learn. We will include these new input techniques into our products.

Caring about customers

We are listening carefully and constantly to our customers and partners to
really understand what they want from our products and services, both today and
in the future. The feedback loop drives our priorities.

The coming year will test us on many fronts. We need to make our software
simpler and easier to deploy as well as making it more powerful. Pressure from
competitors and regulators is intensifying. PC sales growth is slowing and a lot
of the growth is in the consumer segment where software sales are lower than in
the business segment. The growing size and diversity of our product portfolio
means that we have to execute across a broadening front.

As Technologies To The People approaches the 21st century it faces many
challenges and risks, but the opportunities are greater than ever. With
continued innovation and hard work, I am convinced that we will reap the
rewards. I appreciate the unwavering support and trust of our shareholders in
these exciting times.

At Technologies To The People, we all share a passion to succeed in this
exciting new industry. Indeed, we are creating this industrydrafting the
blueprint, building the infrastructure, inventing the future. And we are all
pulling together, in sync, to power Technologies To The People forward. On
behalf of everyone at Technologies To The People, I thank you for your
confidence and support. We look forward to reporting on our progress in the
quarters and years ahead.

Sincerely, William S. Luce II