Jim Mason on Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:58:39 -0800

Syndicate: G-7 Stock Market Puppets

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META content="text/html; charset=us-ascii" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P align=center><FONT size=2><FONT size=3><STRONG><FONT size=5>The G-7 Stock
Puppets</FONT><BR></STRONG><EM>An Internet-driven kinetic sculpture and
interactive <BR>"commodities" trading environment.</EM><BR><A
href="http://www.stockpuppets.com";
target=_blank>http://www.stockpuppets.com</A><BR><BR></P></FONT></FONT>
<P><FONT size=2><FONT size=3><BR>The G-7 Stock Puppets are an Internet-driven
kinetic installation that tracks the movements of global stock markets with
seven larger-than-life marionette puppets. Using a real-time data stream, a
network of PC laptops, and an elaborate electro-mechanical control system, the
installation reanimates the abstract machinations of global financial markets as
an absurdist carnival puppet show.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, the script for this
puppet show remains a bit hazy. One moment, we might find the NASDAQ puppet
soaring 20 feet into the air, consumed with the latest IPO elation. The next
moment, without apparent reason or warning, the Nikkei puppet might fall to the
ground, crumpling into a fetal posture of weakness and desperation. From the
opening to the closing bell, the puppets continue to rise and fall in
serendipitous synchronicity with the "arbitrary" movements of the G-7 market
indices. Clearly in this puppet show, the markets themselves are the "puppet
masters". But we may ask ourselves, "Who are the puppets?"<BR><BR>The G-7 Stock
Puppet installation is a gentle commentary on our near pathological infatuation
with global stock markets in this era of the "new economy". At the same time, it
is also a serious experiment in mapping the complex information stream of
financial data onto dynamic objects in the physical world. Our intention is to
re-embody this information ecology in a manner that reveals the character and
patterning encoded in the fragments of the data stream. And during the process,
we might also laugh a bit at the arbitrary control this data stream holds over
many of our emotional lives and reckonings of self-worth.<BR><BR>You can see the
full description and photos of the project at </FONT><A
href="http://www.stockpuppets.com"; target=_blank><FONT
size=3>http://www</FONT>.stockpuppets.com</A></FONT> </P></BODY></HTML>