Melentie Pandilovski on Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:46:50 +0200

Syndicate: Understanding the Balkans

Dear friends,

I would like to announce the Conference Understanding the Balkans.
The Conference is to take place in the period October 13 - October 16, 2000 in Ohrid, Macedonia.

I would like to urge the interested to write to me on time so that we can send you the ENTRY FORM, and
complete the entire procedure for attending the Conference.

Best regards,

Melentie

UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS
October 13 - October 16, 2000
Hotel Belvi in Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia

Organizer (organization and contact person):
Contemporary Art Center - Skopje; Melentie Pandilovski - Director
Tel/Fax: ++389.91.13.35.41    ++389.91.21.44.95
Orce Nikolov 109, 1000 Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
http://www.scca.org.mk  e-mail: misko@scca.org.mk

Aim:

The Conference UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS aims at examining the intersection of the acquired codes
in the socio-cultural space of the Balkans over the past decades, at the
same time questioning and searching of new and common concordant
structures.

General Idea of the Conference:

The rapid changes that the countries of South-East Europe are confronted with make it a necessity and essential
challenge to perform a certain "archaeological cut" through the
different heterogeneous layers of the Balkan region. Therefore the
international Conference UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS is conceived as a
challenge to examining the alteration stratum of the Balkans
concentrating strongly on questions of society, culture, art, and
history. Reflections and analysis dedicated to these complex issues will
be examined during the Conference.

UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS will in this goal try to focus on examining the intersection of the acquired codes
in the social, historical, cultural, we have used on the Balkans in our
immediate past as well as in considering the changes through which our
societies, and culture, are undergoing over the past decades. The
Conference is especially interested in investigating the deeper reasons
for on-going conflicts in the region. The Conference will focus on
finding ways of concordant common social, political and economic
structure to emerge in the new Balkan societies and thus admitting that
each region has its own specifics shall try to find a link connecting to
the cumulative cultural achievements of the past.

UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS is open to the investigating of substantially higher synergistic systems on the
Balkans and will urge the creation of new visions of the artists,
theoreticians, historians, sociologists, and philosophers and will
concentrate on finding a common platform in which the present historic
and cultural gaps can be bypassed. Being conceived as an encounter of
artists, technologies and visionaries the Conference also welcomes
various projects using information technology and different multi-media
applications, life sciences, etc.

Themes to be discussed:

1. Codes Not Understood: Reasons and Consequences

2. Identities: Creation and Use

3. Mediated Images: Theory and Creation

4. Networks: New Quality or Redundant Accumulation

The format of the Conference:
UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS is inviting 30 leading thinkers from the Balkan region as well as outside from it,
covering a wide expertise (historians, sociologists, philosophers,
scientists, culturologists, and artists).

Internet coverage:

a. Creation of a web site.
The information about the Conference as well as a summary of the texts will be available on the web site.

b. The Conference UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS will be covered by video footage directly from the Conference
on our web page, during the entire duration.

c. Creation of a mailing list.

Proceedings:
     (November-December 2000)
The proceedings will be published in English and Macedonian with a possible translation to the other Balkan languages.

Deadline: The deadline for application is September 15, 2000.

Other Information: All participants will be met at the bus station/train station/airport upon their arrival in Skopje.
All participants will be provided with food and per diem.

Contemporary Art Center - Skopje;
Melentie Pandilovski - Director
Tel/Fax: ++389.91.13.35.41    ++389.91.21.44.95
Mobile: +389.70.217.075,