Saman Farazdaghi on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:20:11 -0800

Re: Syndicate: Antidote 5

Jayce Wrote:
> In fact here on the west coast of Canada, in the midst of a supposed
social
> democracy we have a proto neo-fascist police force clamping down on the
> latino/a community, scape goating them for the drug and prostitution ills
> (vancouver now known as the "bangkok of north america" due to the
expansive
> child prostitution), police surveillance cameras being placed all over our
> community, the poorest in Canada increasing the sense of forced
encirclement.
>  As well we now have (for the first time since the second world war -
where
> Japanese-Canadians were imprisoned, losing all of possessions and
property)
> our second series of 'concentration camps', this time for refugees fleeing
> the Fujian province of China, they are given no rights and their human
rights
> are routinely violated, thrown into small isolation cells for trying to
> express themselves to the guards who understand none of their language.
The
> colonial politics continue here and the canadian-european citizens are
> becoming more vocal in their imperial racist statements (where once we
they
> very good at repressing this), this paired with arch-conservatives of all
> types and colours, purchasing their rights to be canadian over-top of
> refugees fleeing their lives.  Of course all of this takes place while the
> even court recognized rights of the First Nations are trampled upon as
> throughout out history and the environment gets continually trashed...

Jayce, while the list of activities you provide are examples of oppression,
bullying
and abuse of power - they are not nearly of the same severity and the scope
as mid-europe in the 30s and 40s.  I'm not sure if you are implying it is?

If so, then it's a brilliant example of the oversimplification and
sloganism/labeling
inaccuracies we were discussing earlier.

Saman
Toronto