Lorenzo Taiuti on Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:56:27 +0100

Syndicate: Art & the Strategy of Absence against...

Art & the Strategy of Absence
against...
Yes Against who?
The problem arised by Jost on how to define an
antagonist without using historical categories is a real and important
one.
And the problem is surely not creating labels
but to define ourselves as "left" of a new type while using new tools,
new media as definition of new political figures working with
comunication.
And of course a new
lexikon.
And in this new area of values certainly we
should not call Haider a Nazi, because that flattens matters to a
black&white stilness.
But...
Two years ago Haider declared his deep
appreciation of Hitler points of view on several themes.
And that's why he was thrown out of the
Parliament.
He surely opened the game!
So while i would rather call him Haider the
Heidi( the mythical cartoon figure singing and dancing on austrian mountains to
whom he looks very much like) the fatal attraction is to call him a Nazi. Maybe
a cartoon nazi, all dancing and all singing, but a nazi.
The political problem is certainly how to
qualify and re-define the area of growing conservative thought that is becoming
again strong and audacious.
The psycological problem is probably to let out
our feelings on how we feel things are growing. ( We will argue face to face in
Rome about that Jost!).
Ciao
Lorenzo Taiuti