Volker Grassmuck on Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:05:02 +0100 (CET)

[rohrpost] Cisler on World InfoCon

hier Steve Cislers Bericht auf [bytesforall_readers] über die
World-Info-Con Amsterdam 2002
The Network Society of Control
Amsterdam, December 6 - 7, 2002
http://world-information.org/wio/program/amsterdam/events/1036596740

Letter from Amsterdam: World-InfoCon
December 6-7, 2002
Steve Cisler <cisler@pobox.com>

It is exciting to return to Amsterdam. In spite of the high prices,
there is so much to do, so many people to visit, interesting foods,
and
attractions for tourists, gardeners, book-lovers, artists, shoppers,
and beer-drinkers. The narrow streets make cars unwelcome, but it is
wonderful city for walking, and there is frequent public
transportation. For this trip I tried something different--a small
inflatable kayak that weighed about 8 Kg. The cold overcast morning
after I arrived, I set up the kayak on a canal walkway by the Max
Euwe
Plein near Stadhouderskade, dropped it in the water, and spent the
morning touring the city from a very different vantage. It was a
great
way to view parts of the city. Few other boats were out, possibly
because it is not tourist season. Later I walked around town, and
mixed
with the Sintklaas crowds. The walls are covered with posters
advertising everything from anarchist meetings to sex businesses to
sporting events, magic mushrooms, and musical groups. There is a very

lively art scene, and I saw a number of posters for gallery openings
and one that was somewhat sinister. It advertised the event that
brought me to Holland.

He stands out for his blandness. Business suit, crewcut, an earpiece
keep in touch with his team leader, and an open newspaper. But he's
looking elsewhere, over his shoulder, at a suspicious character,
probably looking at you and listening as well. This man-in-black is
the
poster child for World-Information.Org's exhibit and conference in
Amsterdam.

I arrived near the end of the month-long exhibition to attend the
two-day conference held at De Balie, a famous hang out for artists,
activists, and even a few information policy geeks. It hosts many art

events and convenes meetings such as this one. In the past, Next Five

Minutes was held here, and a small watershed event, Tulipomania.com
took place in June 2000, just as the dot com bubble had begun to
burst.

De Balie is located in a famous square, the Leidseplein, so it gets a

lot of traffic, tourists, and people who just want to have a coffee,
beer, and smoke as they talk. Every town should have a hangout like
De
Balie. There are free Internet access machines, a theater that seats
about 150 people, a few meeting rooms on the side, and an open area
on
the floor above the bar and dining area. The walls in this area are
covered with the most unusual wallpaper I have seen. At first it
looks
like an old marbling pattern or some finely rendered fractal design.
When you pay more attention you realize it is hair and skin. In fact,

it's the back hair of some anonymous man. The pattern repeats itself
forming parallel lines that crawl up the wall. Very creepy.

However, the whole atmosphere of De Balie is conducive to great
conversation, both unstructured around the tables and bar and more
structured in the meeting hall where the two day conference was held.

The themes of World InfoCon were "Security paranoia in the
world-info-sphere" (surveillance technology) for day one and
"Building
the digital commons" and the free exchange of information on day two.

It was publicized online and on posters seen throughout Amsterdam.
Concurrently, there was an education program for school kids, a
temporary media lab for workshops and media discussions, and a
month-long exhibit at De Oude Kerk, a 13th century church that housed

projects dealing with several themes: the world info-structure,
future
heritage , and World-C4U, about older and current security and
surveillance technologies. Considering the publicity, the turnout
seemed light. Perhaps you have to have an intrinsic interest in
information in all its mutations to be attracted to such a meeting.

The exhibits made sense if you were aware of the issues, or better
yet,
had attended the conference. Some artists had tended their exhibits
and
offered commentary to visitors, but the day I attended only Konrad
Becker, who is the Executive Director, was at the entrance to his
maze
of information-rich billboards. The rest of the exhibits were not
that
accessible to the average person, and that was, for me, the
underlying
challenge. Information issues are not immediately interesting or
compelling. They must be tied to people's work, their identity, their

freedom, their health, and their environment. Most people do not
think
about information flows or intellectual property rights, and most
information is still passed from one individual to another, and this
is
supplemented by media blizzard which varies in intensity depending on

how much you watch television, how many newspapers or magazines you
consume, or how much time on line you spend with web logs, e-zines,
and
all the other forms of information that make up the Web.

Eveline Lubbers, a journalist and activist, has been tracking the
surveillance methods of police and intelligence agencies since the
1980's. More recently she has focused on the deceptive practices of
public relations firms, and a book she edited, "Battling Big
Business"
has just been translated into Dutch. We met at a small coffee shop
near
the Old Church where she talked about her activities and some of the
problems publicizing a book from a small publisher. In fact, her U.S.

publisher had been in financial trouble, and the English version came

out in the UK. Later, during the conference session, she dissected
the
Greenwash campaigns of some large oil companies.

That evening we met again at the conference reception where a number
of
the speakers had gathered for a drink and introductions. What I value

about the De Balie events is that I meet a few old friends and a good

many people I would never run into in Silicon Valley or the other
conferences and events I attend.

Opening Day

Day One opened with a talk by Chris Hables Gray, but unfortunately, I

lost my notes on his presentation. Gray is the author of "Cyborg
Handbook" and is in temporary exile in Montana. Next was an overview
of
surveillance by Konrad Becker who is executive director of
World-Information.Org. This forty minute tour-de-force was perhaps
the
most interesting of the whole conference, but it is the most
difficult
to summarize because he packed so many quotes, facts, images, and
observations into his talk which began with ancient Sumeria and took
us
through mind control techniques of intelligence agencies and the
workings of surveillance organizations.

Brian Holmes, an "anti-capitalist theorist" has been working on some
very interesting mapping projects with the Parisian Bureau d'Etudes
that looked at control structures in Europe and other
interrelationships between companies, international organizations,
and
governments. On the flip side there were also maps of "civil society"

which helped activists understand their own world. Talking later with

Brian it seemed the collaborative act of researching the links and
alliances was a process that built community and solidarity. The
cartographic process made use of new icons and resulted in incredibly

detailed Illustrator files which were more legible on screen than in
the large paper formats which were handed out in the streets and
during
the recent European Social Forum in Florence. As he acknowledged you
need to look at the maps in a very good light because of the small
fonts and black text on blue background. A further development might
be
a database linked to the map to provide richer information about the
points on the map, and activist-users would supply the depth of
knowledge about individual points. Sort of the mosaic theory of
intelligence gathering mixed with the participatory techniques to
involve many people.

Ryan Schoelerman, Buffalo, New York, had the most unusual story of
anyone attending the workshop. After high school he enlisted in the
U.S. Marines where all recruits were given batteries of tests to find

skills and potential that may not have surfaced in civilian life.
Ryan
and his brother were found to have abilities to distinguish sounds
and
signals, so he was sent to training for 'elint" or electronic
intelligence analysis. He was stationed, among other places, in
Somalia, but he did not re-enlist after several years in the Corps. I

heard that he had been in the NSA, but the program said CIA, so I
guess
this is the case of the truth being protected by a bodyguard of lies
(to quote Churchill). At present he is in college and is involved in
an
art collective and has done some work with low power FM radio for
community broadcasting and some interesting local hacks.

Steve Kurtz of the Critical Art Ensemble, also from Buffalo, New
York,
had perhaps the most unusual and ambitious project: to re-engineer
the
Monsanto Roundup resistant canola seed. Though he is not a biologist,

he certainly seemed to have gained (with the help of PubMed and some
experts) the understanding of what might be done to attack the
central
genetic traits of this patented and protected controversial seed. At
the World Information exhibit he has erected a bubble, a temperature
controlled habitat where seeds he mailed to Amsterdam have been
planted, and over the past few weeks he has been tending them and
answering questions at the exhibit. He says that sabotage, a la Jose
Bove (now serving jail time in France) is counter productive and
allows
the media and general public to look upon anti-GMO actions as just
the
work of crazy fringe groups. Steve sees his work as a more acceptable

alternative, but I can see it positioned a "bio-terrorism" in the
current season of fear.

The afternoon sessions on public relations opened with a broad
introduction by famed journalist academic Ben Badakian. This was
followed by an overview of activities and trends by Sheldon Rampton
of
PR Watch and Eveline Lubbers. For the PR professional "communications

is the engineering of consent." This is sometimes called the
hypodermic
method of PR where you inject your opinions into the minds of the
masses. Sheldon read statements by leading PR people who stressed the

threat of all the protest groups organizing, using the Internet, and
undercutting the expensive work the PR firms are performing for their

corporate clients. Both Sheldon and Lubbers explained to the group
the
wide range of PR tactics used by firms. These range of soft
"reinvention" campaigns that would lead some people to think Shell is

an environmental company not one drilling and selling petroleum
products. Other firms offer much more aggressive services. There is
even a service called "outrage management" where the PR firm figures
out how much a company can do before provoking outrage on the part of

the public.

The two speakers were generally opposed to dialog between opposition
groups and the corporations, because it is used to divide and
conquer.
Public Relations people categorize the protesters and opponents in
four
groups: realists, opportunists, idealists, and radicals. The
techniques
are to isolate the radicals and co-opt the others using various
schemes. Several examples were cited where the PR efforts helped
split
the opposition and turned the story from one of citizens and
non-profits fighting a company to fighting within an organization
(Mothers Against Drunk Drivers was one) over tactics, leadership, or
strategy.

Each day, Eric Kluitenberg of De Balie, helped frame the day's theme
with a short introduction. Day two focused on intellectual property
rights and the various movements and methods of challenging the
increasingly severe laws enacted at international, regional, and
national levels most of which have narrowed the ability of the
citizen
or consumer to use, store, or manipulate the information.

Volker Grassmuck, of Humboldt University, in Berlin, gave an
excellent
introduction to many of the issues, and this helped me later in the
morning when I gave my short talk. He said that Free Software is
getting the seal of approval from some governments, and is certainly
gathering steam in term of understanding and richness of the pool of
code being generated. He spoke about the rebellion of thousands of
scientists who have demanded that scientific publications be put
online
six months after they appear in print. As librarians are aware, the
cost of periodicals and especially scientific journals has been
increasing astronomically, with some costing thousands of dollars for
one year subscription. He showed a project called the Wikipedia, a
very
open and collaborative knowledge generating effort. Anyone can change

or edit an encyclopedia entry, and instead of disinformation or
incomplete entries, the number of people writing and commenting have
made stronger and more credible entries.

Felix Stalder, one of the nettime moderators and originator of Open
Flows, spoke about the "social dynamics of free content" which made
me
think about the early days of The Well where the elements he
described
helped make that online system a wonderful place for me to grow up,
even though I was 42 when I started using it. Stalder said these
systems allow different degrees of participation which blur the
difference between creator and reader or consumer. People move in and

out of involvement. The "space" of these content areas can be huge
(as
with Wikipedia. Leadership comes from contributions and acts of
moderation and other kinds of participation.

Joost Smiers, author of the forthcoming Arts Under Pressure seemed to

be most worried about lack of diversity, not just in content but in
distribution, using the example of documentary films (which are not
easily distributed over the Net) and the few people who really decide

what movies are distributed widely (Goldmember or Die Another Day
showing on thousands of screens at the same time). He believed that
copyright would implode and that states had the right to act if the
market did not protect diversity. It seemed he mainly had in mind
"American hegemony." and that he takes the idea of the Bulgarian
Culture Board seriously.

Bruce Girard, author of "Global Media Governance- A Beginner's Guide"

talked about the increasing restrictions in what could be done with
radio spectrum, and he was the only speaker who mentioned the
upcoming
World Summit on the Information Society (December 2003). My
impression
was that most people there did not have the interest or patience to
deal with the United Nations/ITU procedural red tape. Other people I
met said the growing influence of the corporate sector made them less

interested in trying to influence the outcome or final statements.
Several people who had been involved in the European Social Forum in
Florence talked to me about the idea of a conference that would take
place before WSIS and not oppose it but offer an alternative forum
for
discussion, statements, and possibly action.

Arun Mehta from India said the idea of copying is the highest
compliment one could pay and that there was nothing wrong with doing
that with Microsoft Office or publications or music. He felt the
system
that was trying to criminalize millions of people for downloading
MP3's
could not be sustained. He also said that the intellectual property
laws were killing people by denying them cheap drugs for
life-threatening illnesses such as AIDS which is ravaging the
subcontinent now.

Darius Cuplinskas, head of the library and publishing program at Open

Society Institute in Budapest, Hungary, showed some of the scholarly
collaborative publishing efforts including the one OSI has
spearheaded,
the Budapest Open Access Initiative. He cited an interesting paper by

Yochai Benkler, "Coase's Penguin, or Linux and the Nature of the
Firm."

I spoke about the role of libraries in building the digital commons
which was not just content but the access tools to acquire the
content,
as well as the skills to find the content. I highlighted some large
library digitization projects around the world and said that the
increasingly rabid statements by publisher representatives was
forcing
a change in the relationship between libraries and publisher. To
express it as a dichotomy, libraries want to give everything away,
and
publishers want to charge. This makes libraries, which used to be
seen
as neutral territory, as much more radical information collectives
which are stealing the potential profits of CD, book, and database
publishers. However, they remain the main intermediary to the world
of
electronic information for who cannot afford the subscriptions or do
not own a computer hooked to the Internet. The trouble is they are
not
that strong in many countries, and these services are not available
widely.

The final open mike session was inconclusive about further action,
though several people reacted positively to some of Arun Mehta's
suggestions. Thanks to Eric Kluitenberg of DeBalie and to OSI,
Budapest, in helping me attend. Other editors of the conference
included Felix Stalder of Open Flows and Konrad Becker. There was a
reader available of articles, papers, and interviews. Price was 7.5
Euros.

--

->

   act now:    copy = right    http://privatkopie.net
   schon 35.000 Unterschriften !!!
   new releases:  Freie Software. Zwischen Privat- und Gemeineigentum
   http://freie-software.bpb.de
   home:   http://waste.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Grassmuck