Geert Lovink on Mon, 1 Oct 2018 16:20:49 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] WE ARE HERE meets ACADEMIA (17.10, Spui25)

WE ARE HERE meets ACADEMIA
Different perspectives on refugee collective We Are Here (and on academia)

Venue: SPUI25 Amsterdam
Time: October 17, 2018, 8-10 p.m.
Live audio at http://radiopatapoe.nl <http://radiopatapoe.nl/>

So many people have used the opportunity that we Are Here offers: A chance to meet illegalized migrants.

Can you imagine leaving home, crossing a deadly sea, ending up in a cold place, with only question they put to you: when do you go back? If you really want to know, you could always go to We Are Here. In one of the 40 buildings they temprarily occupied over the last 6 years.

http://wijzijnhier.org/contact-us/ <http://wijzijnhier.org/contact-us/>

http://wijzijnhier.org/tijdslijn/geschiedenis-van-wij-zijn-hier/ <http://wijzijnhier.org/tijdslijn/geschiedenis-van-wij-zijn-hier/>

So many journalist came to make their reports. So many students with their questionaries.Soon joined by more activists, riligious, artists, would-be politicians. Civil society embraced those who are denied access. However, all this hasn't stopped the destruction of lives all over and around Europe.

So did it help? To change the situation?

The main question we will address is: Where do academia and activism meet, and how can one strengthen other?

We look back on the endeavors of the past six years, at

https://www.opendemocracy.net/jo-van-der-spek/we-are-here-look-with-us-not-at-us <https://www.opendemocracy.net/jo-van-der-spek/we-are-here-look-with-us-not-at-us>

The event is hosted by Spui25, the University of Amsterdam’s cultural-academic platform.

For more information on the event, and on the speakers and discussants, please consult:

http://www.spui25.nl/spui25-en/events/events/2018/10/perspectives-on-refugee-collective-we-are-here.html <http://www.spui25.nl/spui25-en/events/events/2018/10/perspectives-on-refugee-collective-we-are-here.html>

We hope you will be able to attend! There is limited seating, so please sign up using the button at the bottom of that page. See you the 17th!

Best wishes,

Sander Mensink (University of Amsterdam)

Jo van der Spek (Stichting M2M)

http://schipholbrand.net/nl/m2m/ <http://schipholbrand.net/nl/m2m/>

Wouter Mensink (Sociaal en Cultureel Planbureau)