info-de on Wed, 1 Sep 2010 11:37:53 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] KIOSK for Useful Knowledge at Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven, Saturday 25 September

The Politics of Collecting - The Collecting of Politics
Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven, Saturday 25 September 2010, opening 16.00
Part 3 of the Play Van Abbe programme

The Politics of Collecting - The Collecting of Politics
What is a collection? What is an archive? What are the relationships between documents or objects with memory, identity, history and society? What can and what cannot be archived? Can an archive become a collection? Why do we enjoy looking at a collection? Part 3 of Play Van Abbe is about collecting as an archive of visual cultural memories. The museum maps out what a collection policy tells us about the time in which it is established. We also wonder what it means to collect "political moments"; moments that give meaning to developments in our contemporary culture.The exhibition gives you the chance to look again at the highlights of the Van Abbemuseum and compare them with collections and archives created by artists. For them, collecting is a strategy for creating an image of the social situation in which they live.

Participating artists / institutions:
Denmark, Michal Heiman, Hannah Hurtzig, Zofia Kulik, Lia Perjovschi, Sean Snyder, Lidwien van de Ven, Akram Zaatari, BKR (collection), Contemporary Art Museum Palestine (CAMP - collection) as well as artists and institutions contributing to the exhibition Time Machines - Reloaded.

Saturday 25 September
17.00 - 19.00 KIOSK for Useful Knowledge: Narratives about Places, Cities, Territories
The Museum. Live-dialogue Nr.1
Annie Fletcher, curator at the Van Abbemuseum and Paul O`Neill, curator, artist, writer, Bristol Archived by Hannah Hurtzig / Mobile Academy (4 more dialogues on the memory of the museum will be recorded live during the exhibition in November and December)

Play Van Abbe Part 3 can be seen in the museum until January 2011
The Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven is one of the first public museums for contemporary art to be established in Europe. The museum has an experimental approach towards art`s role in society. Openness, hospitality and knowledge exchange are important. The programme Play Van Abbe focuses on the identity of an art museum in the 21st century, and the museum uses itself as a model. We challenge ourselves and our visitors to think about art and its place in the world, covering a range of subjects, including the role of the collection as a cultural "memory" and the museum as a public site. A place for creative cross- fertilisation and a source of surprise, inspiration and imagination for its visitors and participants.