Lucas Evers on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:39:36 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-nl] (Fwd) Fw: CNN sucks

From: "Marcio A. V. de Carvalho"
<marcio.carv@UOL.COM.BR>
Subject: Fourth Power

All around the world we are subjected to 3 or 4 huge
news distributors, and one of them - as you well know
- is CNN. Very well, I guess all of you have been
seeing (just as I've been) images from this company.

In particular, one set of images called my attencion:
the Palestinians celebrating the bombing, out on the
streets, eating some cake and making funny faces for
the camera.

Well, THOSE IMAGES WERE SHOT BACK IN 1991!!! Those are
images of Palestinians celebrating the invasion of
Kuwait! It's simply unacceptable that a super-power of
cumminications as CNN uses images which do not
correspond to the reality in talking about so serious
an issue.

A teacher of mine, here in Brazil, has videotapes
recorded in 1991, with the very same images; he's been
sending emails to CNN, Globo (the major TV network in
Brazil) and newspapers, denouncing what I myself
classify as a crime against the public opinion. If
anyone of you has access to this kind of files, search
for it.

In the meanwhile, I'll try to 'put my hands' on a copy
of this tape. But now, think for a moment about the
impact of such images. Your people is hurt,
emotionally fragile, and this kind broadcast have very
high possibility of causing waves of anger and rage
against Palestinians. It's simply irresponsible to
show images such as those.

De Balie
Kleine gartmanplantsoen 10
1017 RR Amsterdam