Francisco van Jole on 27 Feb 2001 20:29:10 -0000

[Nettime-nl] Where is Doug Hofstader when we need him?

Ha leesgenoten,

Dit mooie dilemma - leuk voor in bad, of onder de douche - wilde ik jullie
niet onthouden, het gaat om de bijgevoegde tekst, niet zozeer om de link.
Overigens is de correcte naam van de auteur Hofstadter, maar dat wisten
jullie waarschijnlijk zelf wel. De herkomst van de tekst ken ik niet.

INFORMATION ABOUT AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATION ON THE INTERNET
Does the Internet provide patients with a tool for empowerment, or does it
create harmful misconceptions about disease?
South Med J 94(1):22-25, 2001
http://www.medscape.com/34180.rhtml?srcmp=ms-022301

If the answer given in the article is "the web does *not* empower because
web content must be regarded with suspicion" it means the article we
were directed to on the web -- the article itself -- can't be believed,
so that the true answer must be "the web does empower," because it enables
us to find articles discrediting the web as a source of information.

If the answer given in the article is "the web does empower," then the
article must be considered self-justifying, and must be therefore regarded
with suspicion since it urges us to believe it, just because we found it
on the web -- and they knew it would eventually be referenced on the web.

This means that any article discussing the veracity of the web can never
be referenced on the web. Or something.

Where is Doug Hofstader when we need him?

LRM

groet, groet,

Francisco van Jole

http://www.2525.com
'Herinneringen aan een dot-com', een webfeuilleton