nettime's_digestive_system on Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:23:14 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Re: Gary Chapman, brilliant on WTO (guderian, rc-am)

Re: <nettime> Gary Chapman, brilliant on WTO
          Carl Guderian <carlg@vermilion-sands.com>
Re: <nettime> Re: Gary Chapman, brilliant on WTO (henwood byfield kessi brace)
          "rc-am" <rcollins@netlink.com.au>

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:03:29 +0100
From: Carl Guderian <carlg@vermilion-sands.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Gary Chapman, brilliant on WTO

If free trade brings a better life, fine, but somehow I doubt the
version--the direct equation of capitalism and freedom--offered by a
secretive organization like the WTO will do so.

A big reason for the protests was that ordinary people were condescendingly
nudged out of the discussion, from NAFTA to the MAI to the WTO, though they
are most affected by the results. Policy wonks like Charlene Barshefsky,
her boss Bill Clinton, and the Davos crowd were baffled by the commoners'
sudden interest in trade. They should have known better. Information is
more available now than it used to be, and citizens have had to become
semi-experts in the process of answering disturbing questions such as:

* (In the U.S.) If the company for which I work is a model of efficiency,
why is it being closed down and reopened in Mexico?
* (In Nigeria or southern Mexico) Why would Shell or Chase Manhattan Bank
rather have my government kill me than work with me?
* (In the U.K.) If genetically-modified beans are as good as Monsanto say
they are, why can't they trust us to test them ourselves and then decide
whether we want to eat them?

Secrecy and exclusion is harder to justify than it used to be, especially
when the experts are shown not be so disinterested as they pretend to be.

The WTO's scope shouldn't extend much beyond world trade, but nor should it
pretend that world trade exists in a vacuum, not when ills like
dictatorship, poverty and pollution have accompanied "free trade" in the
past. The record of the free traders is poor in this regard; they supported
whichever kleptocrat could deliver the bananas or Air Jordans most cheaply
and reliably. When leaders steal everything, how can the workers afford the
TVs and big Macs that northern protesters are supposedly denying them?
"Constructive engagement" led to big fortunes for Suharto and the rest of
his litter and jack squat for everyone else. Popular disgust at home and
abroad, not trickle-down economics, pushed him out the door. If the people
of the developing countries are to depend on a top-down structure like the
WTO to lead to a better life, they'll be waiting a long time. If they know
someone else cares enough to raise a ruckus, they'll take heart in the
knowledge they're not alone.

The issue of global trade is important--the U.S. protectionism in the 1930s
probably worsened Europe's depression--but not urgent enough to justify an
Emergency Committee-type body like the WTO. There's no Jihad declared
against the world's chambers of commerce. The WTO members themselves
realize this. Even the U.S. government is ambivalent, since it has its own
producers to protect. We have the time and the duty to be sure everyone,
not just the bosses, gets a voice. I'd rather work out for myself that
strong copyright protection and Big Macs are a global good than have it
said for me.