nettime's_digestive_system on Fri, 5 Nov 1999 20:14:52 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> the res publica [4x]

1......Andi Freeman <andi@artec.org.uk>
2......"scotartt" <scot@systemx.autonomous.org>
3......Ian Andrews <iana@cream.ebom.org>
4......"Pr0fessor C0Re[X]" <pr0fessor_c0rex@planetjurai.com>

To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
From: Andi Freeman <andi@artec.org.uk>
Subject: Re: <nettime> the res publica
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:49:08 +0100

As a Australian/UK dual national living in london all I can say is how
pathetic the whole thing looks from a UK media perspective. Not only have
the english just devolved scottish and welsh assemblies but would dearly
love to get rid of the northern irish as well and get down to what really
counts, namely the 12 EU regions that make up these isles. To ask an
english person about the commonwealth is to receive looks of consternation,
to explain to them that a country the other side of the world uses the
queen as its head of state, brings a smile to their face, to tell them
Australians are about to vote to retain this arrangement brings amazement.

Fact is the union itself is barely holding together let alone the
commonwealth. To see Australians valiantly defending it on the TV over the
last week makes me sad. I realise that there are dozens of other issues
that have been rolled into the debate and the new constitution, but to let
the issue drop (for how many years ?) because some more fundamental issues
(that face every country) have arisen is  conservative to say the least. If
you dont start you'll never finish..

As far as it 'not being broke', you only have to look at examples like the
sacking of the Whitlam government, the rape of the environment, severe over
policing and the gradual erosion of individual rights to see that this is
clearly not true.

theres my 50c worth. now I am off to the high commission to get a voting form.

I hope when I next fly home I will land in the new 'Republic of Australia' :-)

Andi Freeman