nettime's_digestive_system on Fri, 5 Nov 1999 20:04:38 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Rise of dot-communism [2x]

1........Jeff Gandy <jeff@mindspear.com>
2........Newmedia@aol.com

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 12:56:50 -0700
From: Jeff Gandy <jeff@mindspear.com>
To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
Subject: Re: <nettime> The Rise of dot-communism

> The expression of "popular will" -- what some think of as "democracy" --
> has always been a serious issue but, with the addition of technology (i.e.
> the capacity for mass-scale social "simulation"), the problem becomes much
> worse.

If you consider the expression of popular will to be a problem, then yes, the
current trends towards increased involvement by a diverse population would
certainly be deemed worse.

Of course, if someone does not a problem, then it's better.

> Dick Morris (the always-rebounding, hooker-dating political manipulator)
> has just teamed up with "Dickie" Scruggs (the whip-'em up and
> cash-in-yer-chips, populist Big Tobacco litigator) in their latest scheme,
> www.vote.com.  They paid $250,000 for the URL (some report) and they are
> going to turn "democracy" loose.  Perhaps you've heard of it.
>
> Is that what you mean by "democracy"?

What do you find so offensive about a site which attempts to gather public
opinion?  The commercial viability is somewhat dubious at this stage.  Someday
when accuracy is verifiable it may show some promise.  But your point throughout
this posting seems to be a genuine fear of what will happen when the masses have
easier access to determining public policy.

And if that is the case, the thought of online voting should petrify you.

Sincerely,

Jeff G.