Micz Flor on Thu, 15 Apr 1999 01:15:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Rebranding NATO

funny indeed, with a spoonful of salt (makes the medicine go down!)

--

>From: Hari Kunzru <hari@dircon.co.uk>
>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:12:31 +0200
>
>Rebranding NATO: A SpinMute consultation document
>
>Executive Summary:
>
>As a long-term PR strategy, the current NATO campaign in the Balkans(TM)
>has its drawbacks. As a brand, NATO's long term prospects look bleak
>unless a serious reappraisal of its mission and values is undertaken.
>Thus Mute's corporate presentation analysis wing (SpinMute)  has
>produced the following strategy document, aimed at improving NATO's
>damaged consumer profile
>
>Current brand values:
>
>When surveyed, a representative sample of NATO core consumers (defined
>as upper income genetically-pure Western European tax-payers) identified
>'war' 'bombing' 'imperialism' and 'fear' as primary NATO brand values.
>This is obviously unacceptable, since outside certain sectors of the
>youth market these attributes are not perceived as benefits, or as
>likely to lead positive purchase or endorsement action.
>
>Interestingly, the US-owned fashion brand 'TheWest', whose market
>segmentation is in many ways congruent to that of NATO, received a
>largely positive evaluation in the same survey. 'Freedom', 'Air Max' and
>'consumer electronics' were marked highly in relation to 'TheWest'. In
>line with this, it can be seen that recent cross-marketing initiatives
>between NATO and TheWest have yielded positive benefits, especially when
>NATO sales activities have been presented using TheWest branding,
>promotional style and look. We recommend that these activities be
>extended through every media channel.
>
>Stretch?
>
>One possible strategy for diluting the current negative appraisal of
>NATO in the global conflict marketplace would be to extend the brand
>into other related segments. Social service provision, work with the
>disabled, light entertainment and a possible clothing brand are all
>potential areas into which NATO might successfully move. By raising
>brand awareness, particularly in the youth and female clerical sectors,
>major perceptual shifts could be accomplished. One possible scenario
>might include the production of a NATO telethon, the proceeds going to
>aid victims of conflict, with the dual aim of launching a range of
>blouson jackets, caps and record bags. Positive responses would be
>generated by the donation of a nominal percentage of the retail price of
>such items to NATO approved non-political charities.
>
>Total Rebranding
>
>Brand stretch will only partially solve the image problem created by
>collateral damage sustained in NATO's  recent aggressive marketing
>campaign. It is suggested that the widest possible positive response
>would be generated through a coherent strategy of rebranding, including
>serious work on corporate identity and presentation. Possible avenues of
>approach include changing the name 'NATO' with its downmarket retro
> [...]

Micz Flor [Content Development - micz@t0.or.at]

  http://helpB92.xs4all.nl - http://akut.t0.or.at
  c/o Public Netbase t0 / Museumsquartier / 1070 Wien / Austria
  t: +43.1.522 1834 / f: +43.1.522 5058
  AM 1476 KHz in Austria and our friends in Central Europe
  22.15-22.20 ORF broadcasts news in Serbian language
  22.20-23.00 currently open broadcasting window

---