Stefan J Wray on Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:23:20 +0200 (MET DST)

<nettime> Re: DRUGS (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:59:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: P Nathan <pacoid@fringeware.com>
To: ecd@fringeware.com
Cc: store@fringeware.com
Subject: <nettime> Re: DRUGS (fwd)

ahem,

> From nettime@basis.Desk.nl  Sat Aug 15 01:55:03 1998
> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:28:57 -0600
> To: "nettime's_digestive_system" <nettime-l@Desk.nl>
> From: antiorp@tezcat.com (=cw4t7abs)
> Subject: <nettime> Re: DRUGS
> Sender: owner-nettime-l@basis.Desk.nl
>
> >D igital               p
> >R esistance
> >U nleashed             z
> >G lobally and          -
> >S imultaneously        r

Stefan, they just called you a "poser".

> >At ARS ELECTRONICA make DRUGS
> >
> >"Hey...pssst...do you have a m9nd konta!nr?"
> >
> >DRUGS=WWI (World Wide Insurrection)
>
> !nd!v - dzat per4mz ne!dr !n gen !ntend 2
> purzue dze pub-l!k !nterezt nr = au.are ov fakt !t = purzu!ng
> = konduszd b! 1 tranzlusent hand kmpnent 2 purzue 1 end wh!ch !=
> amng !tz !ntent!onz

translated (roughly) from "haqr-speak" done as a kind of pig-Dutch
pidgeon version of English:

individual - doesn't performance in general neither intend to pursue
the public interest nor equate to an awareness of fact?  It equates to
"pursuing", which equates to condescending by one translucent hand
component to pursue one end which isn't among its intentions.

>         -_      = !ntent!onz + !ntent!onl b.hav!our
>         _-      un.!ntendd + una.uare.long term || kmplecz
>                 effekt emergez 4rm b.hav!our
>         -_      != 1 effekt _ = 1 end
>                 - !tz or!entz + kntrlz -

intentions go with intentional behavior

unintended means unawareness, in the long term, or complex
effects emergent from behavior

isn't one effect equivalent to one end?

it's a matter of orientation and controls -

> >DRUGS is new code word for WWI.
>
> ARS ELECTRONICA is new code word DRUGS is new code word 4 krapmaTTr

DRUGS is new code for "shit"

>     knnektdzegddmndTz
>       \+\ am3r!kkazug3r
> >The FBI is worried about our use of DRUGS.
>
> our == FBI

congrads, you've just be labelled as a Fed/narc.

> >DIGITAL RESISTANCE UNLEASHED GLOBALLY AND SIMULTANEOUSLY
>

> fukc(fr33l+e)
> sold worldwide

"fuck shit up freely"

>     k?nnektdzegddmnd?Tz
>       \+\ am3r!kkazug3r

i don't speak Dutch, by in the language of part of my ethnic
background this would probably translate to "Amriki khrub nist",
accompanied by Jimmy Carter burning in effigy.

> ---
> #  distributed via nettime-l : no commercial use without permission
> #  <nettime> is a closed moderated mailinglist for net criticism,
> #  more info: majordomo@desk.nl and "info nettime-l" in the msg body

FringeWare has run as an underground media collective for six years,
and been visited twice by hostile Feds, not to mention surviving a lot
of corporate onslaught...  but of all the times we've ever had to
reach for a lawyer to defend ourselves, 2/3 of those times have been
against Dutch (or Belgian, it's the same fucking difference now)
corporate interests ripping us off, with Dutch "hackers" helping to
front their actions in the name of "freedom", and we're still licking
our wounds.

IMHO, the invocation of the word "freedom" here can suck my dick; it's
the cultural equivalent of telling somebody "trust me" in NYC:

	d\/tzh phr33dm = "! !ntend 2 r!p u oph nau"

and, as i was saying before, Ars Electronica is associated as an
Austrian/German thing, and there's loads of racism in the Netherlands
against anything labelled as German.  WWII was a terrible thing, but
part of the strategic military objective was to obliterate Dutch
corporate interests which had been profiteering off wars for far too
long; i am damn sorry they missed that objective.

by invoking discussions about US policy in a Dutch political forum,
you've been identified as a probable narc, with the overloaded racist
antagonization against your association with Ars, which you've been
experiencing the whole time there; somehow, i doubt that Zapatista
supporters and Dutch "haqrs" will ever have much in common.

pxn.

ps: forward this back to nettime-l, if you wish.  i would.

---