nettime.mailing.list on Fri, 6 Mar 1998 00:09:48 +0100 (MET)

<nettime> Re: Leading Art Site Suspended - Samyn, Weil, Garrin, Byfield

[Due to the amount of traffic on this topic - which is welcome - for ease
of use it has for tonight anyway, been compounded into one message./m]

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:05:36 +0100
To: nettime-l@Desk.nl
From: Jeff Koons <jeff_koons@zuper.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Re: Leading Art Site Suspended

Keith,

>Therefore, are we to
>conclude that we should all lie down and accept the" inevitable" march of
>history over our dead bodies towards the greater glory of capitalism in
>this best of all possible worlds?

I do not think that was what Mr. Weil meant to say.
His point of view is a practical one. When the world was young people had
to cope with how nature was treating them. Fighting nature was not the
solution, they had to accept nature and try to get out of it what they
could use. Nowadays culture, society, capitalism have become our 'nature'.
It's our environment. Ignoring it is not revolutionary. It's silly and
there's no point in it. You can fight nature but you cannot win form it.
Your best option is to try and make it more comfortable, maybe even fun.
Marginality equals non-existance.

>Make your own website.

I _have_ made my own website with Group Z, Belgium and thanks to adaweb's
hospitality and the work of the ada crew, there were actually people
looking at it. Making 'art' is one thing, getting people to look at it
another.

Adaweb may not fight capitalism but they sure made my life within it a lot
nicer.

Michael.

Michael Samyn

Zuper! [ http://www.zuper.com ]