Stefan Schmid on Tue, 29 Jul 1997 18:19:38 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: <nettime> Excuse my naive question...

teo spiller wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Linda Wallace <hunger@sysx.apana.org.au>
> > To: nettime-l@Desk.nl
> > Subject: <nettime> the burmese intelligence trap
> > Date: 29. julij 1997 13:24
> >
> > ah teo , i think you've fallen into your own "intelligence trap". ie: "A
> > person begins getting informations. Because of very fast thinking, just
> > after few impressions, that person makes conclusions, based on his a
> > priori perception."

(..)
> In fact, you didn't answer, why are you so deep interested in this
> (strictly) economical or political battle between one Asian state and one
> multimillionaire.
(..)

I would like to interrupt this little squabble of yours, if I may, and
try to
find an answer to Teo's question.

I have spent a lot of time in SE Asia and Mr. Soros' name seems to pop
up
every now-and-then, especially in connection with matters concerning
national economic problems. I must admit, my knowledge of this person is
very limited, but maybe the facts aren't what makes this whole subject
so
interesting...

I find other aspects much more facinating:

- How can one single person have so much influence on foreign
enconomies?
  	Is it only the money-factor or on what does it base?
- Is this influence real, or just blown way out of proportion by the
media?
- Mr Mahatir's sentiments for any kind of influence from "outsite" are
well
	known. But scapegoating a single person seems too ridiculous even
	for him...? What makes HIM tick?
- Is this thing REALLY economical/political or is there some other
motivation
	behind all this? (no conspiracy theories please)

Facts can be informative, but questioning them is what makes them so
interesting

Stefan Schmid

---