John Horvath on Tue, 7 May 96 11:15 MDT

Re: Art, Principles, Money

Shelly,

No, not at all, I wouldn't consider the need to survive, make a living,
and protecting your rights as unprincipled. I guess a good point that
you've made which I haven't considered is the idea of an artist's union.
The only problem is that it has the potential of developing into a
bureaucratic mafia -- akin to the ones you are fighting against --
leaving you back to square one. I, too, find myself stuck in the grey
area and basically take it as it comes: sometimes I don't give a damn
about the money or copyright and just get my work out; other times I am
fighting to make sure the right amount was deposited into my bank account
and checking on the finished product to make sure it was properly
credited to me and not altered in any way.

Although this may sound a little Marxist, the only hope for the artist is
to somehow control the means of distribution. In this way, the net might
somehow become a liberating force. On the other hand, knowing at how much
is at stake, the mafia media would certainly try to oppose this, making
the net more of a burden. We can see this now with all the legislation
and gimmicks that are infiltrating the use of the net.

Whatever happens, we seem to be on the threshold of something. And this
is the best time to be an artist, for thresholds is what gives us
inspiration. In the meantime, if you find a way out of the grey (hey, I'm
now a poet!) let me know; I'll do the same. Until then, good luck.

John