Felix Stalder on Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:52:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nettime back and running

Dear nettimers!

First of all, thank you Florian for taking the time to care, admits of the other stuff that has been going on, to resurrect the list! Kein.org has been a real home for the list for many years, and we are grateful for that.

The nettime has been offline for six weeks. The longest in its close to 28 years of existence. During those six weeks, only a very small number of people inquired about the list. Perhaps most of you simply assumed that the list would reappear and thought that downtime is no big deal, or you didn't notice because in the context of information overload, it's hard to notice information that is missing.

Either way, it's not the best sign for the vitality of the list. This means, something needs to be done. As the janitors of the list -- the list has had no moderators for a couple of years now -- we feel that it's our (last) responsibility to initiate this process.

To be blunt: we don't want to continue in the role of care takers. Not out of ill-feeling, but because we have done it long enough. Perhaps too long.

So, the options are: someone else steps up and takes over this care-taking role and infuses fresh energies into the list, or we close it down.

We are very happy that we can use the list handle this process, rather than go down because of a technical issue, but now that the technical stuff is solved, the social can take precedence again.

It's time to step up and care!

As the used to say in the bad old days: Silence = Death. And, we might add, so is hand-wringing.

All the best,

nettime janitors (Ted & Felix)