Frederic Janssens on Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:45:53 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> New Inclusive English

Yes to "I find the link with Protestant ethics, a spiral of
purity, an interesting angle."
I will take an historically well known episode of that ethic : prohibition.

I not consume much alcohol. I mostly hate the effect it has on the attitude of people beyond a quite low threshold.
But I think most will agree that the prohibition was an awful social experiment.
But it did not prevent the "war on drugs". But in the latter case there is a strong argument that it was introduced with full awareness of the negative consequences, and that they were the true motivation.

I do not know if the advocates of doing this new moral push top down are aware of the probable major side effect : a even greater inability to communicate between "left" and "right"; and probably a further splintering of the "left".

You can propose new ways of _expression_, if they take hold it's all good. Imposing them is mostly counter-productive.