podinski on Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:10:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Stormy weather?

Hi all,

Being a very late arrival to this STORMY thread, I would like to just
try *briefly* point out a few things...

1st, appreciating that a few people are willing to challenge the highly
manipulative corporate war-invested media narratives !

2nd, that so little gender diversity takes part in these nettime
conversations, and when it is such hot planetary ( life+death ) topics,
it becomes even more glaringly and sadly lacking.

3rd, I have been trying to collect some more diverse ( eastern )
perspectives and more feminist perspectives on the Ukraine conflict...
but unfortunately been a bit slow in finding good sources to highlight.
In order to represent diversity it would be much more constructive here
to include more non-english (and non-european) languages...

But one thing became clear, many Eastern and Asian ( and global South )
perspectives seem much more concerned and discerning ( and one could
add: less propaganda-gulping ) in regards to the Ukraine contexts.
Namely that the war ABSOLUTELY DID NOT start in Feb.2022 with the
Russian invasion ! Thus NATO-partners and US agendas meddling in
conflicts in multiple conflict arenas is simply NOT DISMISSIBLE when
trying to understand the war and its ESCALATIONS, nor is it Pro-Putin to
discuss + debate what the root causes are, what the stakes are for all
sides, and how to find the emergency EXITS through NEGOTIATIONS...
sooner than later ! Currently all sides are throwing the Ukrainian
people under the bus, even the current Ukranian leadership !

( Not prepared to share those media links nor spend time to defend them
at this time.  )

But i will add More women, feminist, anti-war, anti-patriarchal, and
anti-statist? anarchist voices...

"War is what happens when language fails" - Margaret Atwood

" The war will end, and leaders will shake hands. That old woman will
keep waiting for her martyred son. And those children will keep waiting
for their hero father. I don't know who sold our homeland, but i saw who
paid the price. " - Mahmoud Darwish

" There is no flag big enough to cover the shame of killing innocent
people." - Howard Zinn

" We need a ceasefire before the anticipated springtime offensives
begin. We need clear calls for negotiations, from Washington and beyond.
Last April’s Russia-Ukraine talks showed diplomacy is possible. To make
it happen, Washington would have to pivot from providing unlimited
weapons to calling for immediate talks.
That means changing today’s political discourse, which characterizes any
call for negotiations as giving in to Russia. Arming Ukraine with ever
more powerful weapons hasn’t forced Russia to stop its carnage, but
opening a channel for talks just may provide new opportunities for
de-escalation.
Both sides need diplomacy. We need to stop the killing. " -  Phyllis
Bennis directs the New Internationalism Project at Institute for Policy
Studies

And replying more to Vesna's post below.

All the best !

Podinski

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:17:54 +0100
> From: Vesna Manojlovic <becha@xs4all.nl>
> To: nettime-l@mail.kein.org
> Cc: uncivilization@lists.puscii.nl
> Subject: Re: <nettime> Stormy weather?
>
> To reply to the Stormy Weather, both as a forecast and as allegory ...
>

>> Brian wrote:
>>
>> "....Today, under the pressure of climate change, broader fronts are
>> emerging, which include not only peasant and indigenous struggles, but
>> also metropolitan minorities and, crucially I think, elements of the
>> middle classes who see the looming dead-end of industrial modernism -
>> something that has not been very perceptible to the old working
>> classes. These emergent alliances from below are threatened, not only
>> by the police, but even more, by the paralyzing power of psychic distress
> ... this reminds me of the 2023 book "Deluge" [1] by Stephen Markley [2]
> (available @ libgen .rs)
>
> Highly recommended!
>
> I am still reading it, so no spoilers if you've finished it already!
>
> It's a child of "The Road" & "Ministry of the future"... thicker than
> both, dark & dystopian & full of love stories...
>
> And here are a few select quotes:
>
>  > ?We are not at a crossroads,? Pietrus writes in his introduction. ?We
> long ago took the wrong fork. Now we must do everything in our power,
> including sacrificing our comfort, our livelihoods, our economy, and
> partial, carefully excised pieces of our democracy, to save our species
> and all species.?

Thx for these poignant extracts !!

I like this analogy of NOT A CROSSROADS, BUT A WRONG FORK...

XLterrestrials have often tried to express this in regards to our paths
taken with technodystopian and Anthropocene-Techno-fascism developments.

And we usually get challenged with the standard cliche: But we cannot go
back!

To which we reply: If you've entered a burning building, and you decide
it's not an option to return where you came from... well, then, it's YOU
that made yourself TOAST !

( same goes for all those idiotic patriarchal nationalistic imperialist
bonfires ! )

more to respond to below...

but will have to stop here.