Vesna Manojlovic on Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:18:14 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Stormy weather?

To reply to the Stormy Weather, both as a forecast and as allegory ...

Brian wrote:

"....Today, under the pressure of climate change, broader fronts are emerging, which include not only peasant and indigenous struggles, but also metropolitan minorities and, crucially I think, elements of the middle classes who see the looming dead-end of industrial modernism - something that has not been very perceptible to the old working classes. These emergent alliances from below are threatened, not only by the police, but even more, by the paralyzing power of psychic distress

... this reminds me of the 2023 book "Deluge" [1] by Stephen Markley [2] (available @ libgen .rs)

Highly recommended!

I am still reading it, so no spoilers if you've finished it already!

It's a child of "The Road" & "Ministry of the future"... thicker than both, dark & dystopian & full of love stories...

And here are a few select quotes:

> “We are not at a crossroads,” Pietrus writes in his introduction. “We long ago took the wrong fork. Now we must do everything in our power, including sacrificing our comfort, our livelihoods, our economy, and partial, carefully excised pieces of our democracy, to save our species and all species.”

> “the biosphere doesn’t give a shit about the craven vicissitudes of the American political system”

> We are committed to taking capital, and therefore political power, out of the hands of a fossil-fuel oligarchy. That is the global recipe to attack a primary source of misogyny, racism, and endemic inequality. Distributed systems of energy will redistribute political and economic power faster and more decisively than any other action, period.

... (including Ecofeminism)...

> The history of capital accumulation has also been a history of women’s subordination and environmental degradation. Those three things are so intimately connected that you can’t unwind them. We are a colonized gender. we are in the process of achieving the dream of all oppressed peoples: we’re moving into the Master’s house, when really what we should be doing is burning the house down. Instead, we’re clamoring to be a part of the patriarchal, phallocentric political, economic, and social ecology: (...) capitalist patriarchy. But there has to be an “other” for that system to maintain because it sees a world of scarcity and the only solution is an inequitable hoarding of resources. Part of that “other” will always be women, and bitches are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. If a system views everything in the biosphere as a resource, whether it’s buffalo, maize, fresh water, a gas deposit, or our internet data, it’s going to view women as extractive resources as well”

On 16/02/2023 11:50, mp wrote:

Always. Things come and go, civilizations come and go. As one falls the next is already in the making. One can throw oneself in there where one thinks it will matter in the next world, in the next meantime.

... another (un)civilization quote, therefore cross-posting:

> "I could name all the events that have destroyed families and lives and homes over the past ten or twenty years, but what’s the point? All of this is only the beginning. That’s what breaks my heart so much. We’re not here to prevent that future anymore—because we can’t. All we have left to fight is our own oblivion. Our civilization devouring itself as we run from storms and fires, as we die starving and thirsty and fearful and alone."

I also recommend his previous book, "Ohio" -> specially in light of the recent poison cloud...

Sharing our pains, sharing our joys,

Vesna

[1] https://www.salon.com/2023/01/31/the-deluge-is-a-climate-nightmare--and-its-based-on-reality_partner/

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Markley