Allan Siegel on Tue, 6 Dec 2022 23:33:15 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Moving Nettime to the Fediverse

Hello all,

I think it is worth stating, again, that the folks who have initiated this move stated the following:

"Nettime was founded at a time when, as quaint as it sounds, email was exciting.
That's long since gone for those who experienced it, let alone for those who
didn't. Discussion-oriented mailing lists like this are, in a word, over,
technically *and* culturally. It's time to think more attentively about whether
or how nettime can evolve beyond email and its peculiar 'list culture.'"

It is a pretty concise critique and statement of their intentions; this is not simply change for the sake of change but rather an attempt to expand the discursive arena for the subjects/ideas that that are discussed on Nettime. I understand why people like this mailing list because it is a forum rather safely inhabited by friends and lurkers; this is fine for those that don't want to struggle with an developing form of discourse - the fedidiverse to me is kind a room where someone decides to open the windows and and let in some light and circulate the air.

The move reflects the recognition of the fact that the dominant corporate, neoliberalized, forms of social media are under greater scrutiny these days (the Musk/Twitter scandal is just one more visible example); I think as a readily available source of non-MSM news Twitter served a valuable function and the current evolution of Mastodon and its numerous 'instances' is an arena not seeking to duplicate Twitter but rather define new forms of defining and practicing social media. To meld Nettime into this universe is not a simple task nor are there ready made formulas but I think it is reflects the endeavor to evolve the 'mailing list social media framework' on to an evolving public sphere which has both drawbacks and exciting possibilities. It brings Nettimers to a more diverse intriguing audience which I think is rather critical these days.

best
allan