Brian Holmes on Tue, 6 Dec 2022 19:39:08 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Moving Nettime to the Fediverse

I must say I totally agree with the reflections of Paul and others on the value of a mailing list. Paul, you'd be interested to know that nettime was originally a "text-filtering list" [ie, long texts] devoted to the "immanent critique of the networks." The latter has sometimes been carried out extremely well (a standout in memory, years ago, was the collectively generated critique of bitcoin for adopting the neoliberal / Hayekian theory of money).

Maybe you can do that on Mastodon. It's always worth trying. So I like the idea of maintaining the list while trying something new. I gather that the mods have been tired of floating this thing for so long - I guess after some 25 years at it for Ted and Felix, the thrill of maintaining an extraordinary forum wears off. We should figure out a way to relieve them of this task. Being mindful that the list has lasted so long because of judicious, but increasingly light, moderation.

Best to all, Brian