Jaromil on Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:05:44 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Dyne.org, a decade in perspective

dear nettimers,

wishing everyone HNY, I'm forwarding you a dense recap of what I can
recall from leading Dyne.org during the past decade.

Here is a web version with links and gifs
https://medium.com/think-do-tank/dyne-org-a-decade-in-perspective-55685c538dfb

This mail follows with a plain-text version formatted at 78 columns.
many links are missing, but can be retrieved from the url above.

Greetings from the old drifting continent.

Dyne.org, a decade in perspective
=================================

   Some kind souls are blessing Europe — the souls of reality hackers
   and change agents. In this post I’ll talk about our international
   foundation based in Amsterdam, Dyne.org, and share an update that is
   long-due for all the fellow travelers who have met us along the paths
   — die holtzwege.

   Lets start with a reference to our Magna Carta Libertatum published
   on the 8/8/8, because it is very actual today in these times of
   syndemic crisis, reminding us the dreams and utopias that move us.

   The Weaver Birds (english version) — Gli Uccelli Tessitori (italian
   version)

Who and where are we

   For more than 20 years now fellow hackers around the world kept
   encouraging and helped us to go forward and maintain our concrete
   example of alter-institutional turn.

     We are developing a lot of software as well facilitate communities
     doing their distributions and we even mentor young ventures.

   By reading further you may learn that nerds are everywhere, even if
   we don’t insist signaling our presence and do not compete with
   mainstream narratives: our voice and essence ultimately doesn’t
   belong to propaganda. We are not the establishment, but we are a
   friendly fleet in an open “digital Archipelago” and we are open to
   alliances.

     We are here to witness that it exists a way to develop technology
     for the social good and it can be sustainable.

Facilitators of community development

   Through the past 7 years we have been facilitating the growth of a
   splendid community around a base distro named “Dev 1” (written
   Devuan) which has released its 4.0 “Chimaera” version this year as
   usual with press coverage worldwide.

Welcome to devuan.org | Devuan GNU+Linux Free Operating System

Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd that allows users to
reclaim control over their system by avoiding…

   devuan.org

   Today Devuan is not just a first choice distro but also an
   underground meme (just search “devuan” on youtube) for its resistance
   to failing corporate bloat in GNU/Linux, but also for the flourishing
   grassroot community that populates places like dev1galaxy.org or
   several channels on Libera chat (RIP freenode).

     Our distro is now placed 2nd in the DistroWatch worldwide Top10 by
     user ratings.

   We knew forking Debian was worth the effort for the many people who
   still want to rely on its package base for security and stability,
   but we would never imagine Devuan would be so successful. This
   success is the merit of a community we love to facilitate and keep
   alive for many years to come.

   At last, contrary to Winslows 11, our latest release does not require
   you to buy a new PC, but it runs on old ones as well has a record
   speed on RaspberryPi boards.

Mentors for social innovation

   Our short but intense experience working in research and development
   projects for the European Commission, even leading one of them to
   flagship status, made us involved in writing a cascade funding plan
   for “human centric solutions” that ran for the past 3 years with some
   outstanding results.

The Venture Builder for Human Centric Solutions

3 years, 3 open calls and support programmes later, LEDGER, the Venture
Builder for Human-centric Solutions is coming…

   ledgerproject.eu

   We organized our team around the daily activities of technical
   mentorship for a multiplicity of different solutions and lead to
   results we can be proud of. While doing so we also learned that many
   organizations and the EC itself are talking about free and open
   source, but still need to learn a lot about its development
   methodologies, its language and its sustainability models.

   Most funded initiatives in Europe still do not share social goals nor
   human values, do not adopt open source licensing and are too myopic
   to see the impact of open source software and hardware on
   technological independence, competitiveness and innovation in the EU
   economy.

   Our colleague Mihaela is now working on a set of tools and
   methodologies for the reliable implementation of funding programs and
   their coordination, something that is closely inspired to open source
   community models and our own ethos, which we intend to share with
   everyone operating in this field.

   Meanwhile our funding program today is not just an achievement for
   the “Next Generation Internet” initiative, but it is a starting point
   for all the beneficiaries that have completed the program. There is
   so much to do and so many people to wake up with our call.

     We need to pack our success and tell more institutions and
     companies in Europe that another way of doing sustainable
     development is possible, and its here to stay.

Critical engineers for circular economies

   The notion of “circular economy” is underpinning the urgent and
   intense effort of making European societies evolve into
   environmentally sustainable systems. This notion is rooted in the
   critical thinking of brilliant people like Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen
   or Ernst Friedrich Schumacher whose theories have been clearly
   ignored by the industrial development of the past century.

     To make circular the economy of today is hard work and takes a
     good dose of critical thinking as well critical engineering.

   This is something we have been dedicated a lot in the past years
   leading technical developments for the REFLOW project.

Circular Resources - REFLOW

Co-creating circular and regenerative resource flows in cities

   reflowproject.eu

   Our focus has been in improving the way information about recyclable
   materials circulates and is made available. We have applied a new
   paradigm to simplify the complexity of logistics by adopting a
   Resource Event Agent model (REA) and the Valueflows vocabulary.

   Today we can share with all of you a new crypto model to authenticate
   graph database entries into “digital product passports” as well
   several free and open source software codebases to host related
   services and integrate into the wider scale European infrastructure.

Reflow crypto: material passports for the circular economy

Privacy-by-design signature scheme for material passports whose integrity,
provenance and portability is granted by…

   Our next step in 2022 together with the Fabcity network in Hamburg
   will be to bring this technology to adoption also for e-commerce and
   logistics applications, as an effective tool for the industry 4.0 and
   the democratization of the designer role in its growth.

Experts in computer heritage and restoration

   Our knowledge of information systems comes from a passionate study of
   their history. We support the community effort of two musea in the
   south of Italy: the Museo dell’Informatica Funzionante (MUSIF) and
   the Museo Interattivo di Archeologia Informatica (MIAI). If you are a
   geek you can’t miss hanging our 2022 calendar in your lab:

Memorandom - Calendario 2022 MIAI/MusIF

Il "Museo Interattivo di Archeologia Informatica" (MIAI) di Cosenza ed il
"Museo dell'Informatica Funzionante" (MusIF)…

   memorandom.verdebinario.org

   We are doing our best to leverage the incredible experience and
   knowledge accumulated by these initiatives in the framework of new
   European heritage projects, as it happens already in cooperation with
   the ZKM institute of Karlsruhe for the restauration of the Zuse, the
   most ancient computer in Europe.

   We are also producing very successful exhibitions in public places
   like city archives and libraries, in conversation with an audience of
   all ages about the values we give to our physical and digital
   interaction, the importance that memory has for our culture and what
   does it means to rely uniquely on digital supports in order to
   preserve it and share it.

   We do all this to share the wealth of knowledge, relationships and
   financial resources we manage to gather through our research and
   development activities and in fact this, together with the
   publication of free and open source software for social purposes, is
   what makes us most proud and joyful for the continued existence of
   the Dyne.org foundation.

The Next Layer for Democracy

   We embarked an ambitious journey, equipped with the experience from
   the Decentralized Citizen Engagement Technologies project guided by
   Francesca Bria, which saw Dyne.org working for the first time in 2012
   as research organization for the European Commission.

D-CENT

Organised on the 23-28 of May 2016 in Madrid, the Democratic Cities -
Commons technology and the right to a democratic…

   dcentproject.eu

   In 2021 we accepted the challenge of the Italian Democratic Party and
   prepared a customized setup of DECIDIM, made it ready to roll in 2
   months to withstand the load and attention of a nation-wide party at
   the lead of the government coalition.

We decide. With free and open source technology

A modern set of tools and ideas is needed to realize what we call
Democracy. Together with the courage of a utopia, in…

   decidiamo.org

   It wasn’t easy, our colleague Puria lead the whole process in
   cooperation with the good folks at platoniq and of course the
   involvement of young and smart people working with the party
   secretary. The results are becoming visible as we speak, 6 months and
   thousands of participants later, it will likely be an experience we
   want to continue as well repeat for more organizations around the
   world.

The European Blockchain Infrastructure

   It’s not anymore a dream, but a concrete opportunity to have Europe
   rely on a fully free and open source software infrastructure for many
   notarization tasks needed by an initial number of 24 members states
   adhering to the initiative of the European Blockchain Services
   Infrastructure (EBSI).

   Also in the institutional space we decided to take a community
   development approach and formed a consortium with 2 excellent
   partners: RIDDLE&CODE and Infocert.

We are working to equip Europe with its Blockchain Services Infrastructure

   We are at a very good point building and testing a software stack
   based on DECODE technology (Zenroom) and that provides a
   consensus-based oracle network that can serve and link multiple
   distributed ledger technologies while keeping the whole framework
   blockchain agnostic.

   And the good news came in just recently: we passed the second round
   of selection and we are now among the 5 organizations in Europe asked
   to demonstrate their prototype to the European Commission!

European Blockchain Pre-Commercial Procurement

Amsterdam, September 21st The is one more milestone in the consortium's
track record of excellence with cryptography…

   www.eublockchainforum.eu

Success means growth

   I won’t hide that the past two years of syndemic crisis rocked our
   boat, but we managed to stay afloat and deliver even more than we
   hoped. Our collective at the core of Dyne.org operations kept compact
   and focused, rowed high through difficult waters and obtained
   outstanding results. We have achieved all you see without the help of
   any venture capital and without running any crypto-coin scam.

   As much as we believe in the idea that Small is Beautiful, we came to
   a point in which it is healthy to grow beyond our foundation and
   clearly make a distinction between what we do for research passion
   and interest and what we do as capable people hired by public and
   private ventures needing our help.

Forkbomb | LinkedIn

   www.linkedin.com/company/forkbomb

   Today I am proud to announce the birth of a new company ready to work
   with you and help you build software products and services that stand
   out for the quality, passion and attention to details we all put into
   what we do.
   Forkbomb.eu

   Starting in 2022 you are welcome to contact the Forkbomb Company
   whenever you need us to work on your project and according to your
   schedule, write to info@forkbomb.eu and get to know our fresh CEO
   Andrea D'Intino.

   Public domain.

   Dyne.org Think &Do Tank
	we are free to share code and we code to share freedom

   Dyne.org is a non-profit foundation and free software foundry
   established in 1999 with the mission of increasing environmental
   sustainability, inter-disciplinarity and freedom of expression. It
   connects an online community in which art, science and technology
   meet open source.

--

  Denis "Jaromil" Roio      https://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities