Tatiana Bazzichelli on Fri, 11 Sep 2020 10:43:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Global Surveillance in the Data Society

Dear Nettimers,

I would like to invite you to take part in the discussion at our event
of today, September 11.

LIVE today from 5pm CEST: Global Surveillance in the Data Society
Disruptive Fridays #12 - join at https://www.disruptionlab.org/fridays

We'll reflect on the discourse of surveillance and human rights during
the coronavirus crisis, and reconnect it to another event that reshaped
our society: 9/11.

We decided to host it on 9/11 as a symbolic date, which signed
unprecedented measures on the level of security and surveillance. To
unfold the discussion we invited three speakers that have been dealing
with the issues of data, tracking and human rights since long time:

- Sonia Kennebeck (Film Director, MY/DE/US)
- Assia Boundaoui (Journalist, Filmmaker, Artists, DZA/US)
- Jer Thorp (Artist, Writer and Teacher, CA/US)

Sonia Kennebeck will introduce her last film UNITED STATES VS. REALITY
WINNER, currently in post-production.

Assia Boundaoui will present The Inverse Surveillance Project, an AI
program analysing hundreds of thousands of documents collated by the FBI
on people of colour over the past 100 years, revealing historic patterns
on tactics it used during operations.

Jer Thorp, a data artist that designed (with Jake Barton) an algorithm
and a software tool to aid in the placement of the names on the 9/11
Memorial in Manhattan, will discuss his data artistic practice.

Moderated by Tatiana Bazzichelli and Mauro Mondello, as a preview to our
conference Data Cities: Smart Technologies, Tracking & Human Rights:
https://www.disruptionlab.org/data-cities

The public is invited to join via chat and we look forward to seeing you
there at https://www.disruptionlab.org/fridays
The video will also be available after the talk, at the same URL.

All the best!

Tatiana

--
Tatiana Bazzichelli // Artistic Director
Disruption Network Lab