Felix Stalder on Thu, 26 Mar 2020 16:09:28 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Il Manifesto: Let's get the network data

I think trust should not be placed primarily in technological solutions,
an app where we can fine-tune our privacy preferences.

Rather, the focus should be on creating social institutions that are
capable of analyzing these system-wide dynamics, based on all this data,
and then develop policies within a democratic framework. I know, lots of
people will argue -- as liberal theory has for the last 200 years --
that personal privacy is a precondition for democracy, but that
Gutenberg Galaxy argument is really limiting our thinking.

Let's face it, that system-level, deeply privacy-invasive, knowledge
exists already, but since it's housed in closed institutions (profit
and/or security-focused) nobdoy on the outside (scientists, public,
democratic decision-making bodies) has no access to it. For about 15
years, we could observe the consequences of this, and it's a vast
accumulation of wealth and power in the hand of an unaccountable few, at
expense of public institutions left to play catch-up they cannot win.

That leaves us with either issuing soft appeals, or accepting
unaccountable backroom deals, like the one that the Trump-administration
may, or may not, preparing with Google and Palantier. The latter is
really a worst-case scenario.

I think we should think in a different direction. How about mandating
that big data companies make their data available for public-interest
research? What public-interest research is in practice, and how to
handle the inevitable privacy issues, could be left to decide to a
science review board. There is lots of experience with that. Wouldn't
that open a much more interesting discussion?

All the best. Felix