Andreas Broeckmann on Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:32:15 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Il Manifesto: Let's get the network data

folks, it's probably no surprise that we are getting, only this morning, two reposts that advocate a more aggressive employment of data-driven measures, both implying that data privacy may have to be curtailed in the service of public health. (i've excerpted the crucial passages from both messages below.)

in germany, the minister for health yesterday had to withdraw a law proposal that would have gone in this direction, in the face of strong protests, incl. from the ministry of justice.

i wonder what the options for technical solutions might be that could be more acceptable for people concerned about data protection and civil rights. (to me, the italian appeal to the benevolence of the GAFA seems all too naive, though understandable in the desperate situation in italy.) would it perhaps even be possible to think forward, to consider improvements to the technical systems that would give smartphone users (are we talking about anybody else?) a greater level of control about their data profiles, at least in the long run? or other real advantages?

just speculating...

-a

Am 26.03.20 um 11:28 schrieb William Waites:

> Marcel Salathé: I fear we will need stronger measures
>
>      Interview by Sylvie Logean for Le Temps
> Original: https://www.letemps.ch/sciences/marcel-salathe-crains-ne-devions-aller-vers-mesures-plus-strictes
>      Translation by William Waites
>      2020/03/25

<snip>

> Marcel Salathé:> The only way to manage this health crisis, in the absence of treatments
> and while we wait for an effective and safe vaccine - which we know we
> won't have before 9-18 months - is to attack the problem as the Asian
> countries have done: with large-scale testing, isolating the sick, and
> tracing people who have been in contact with infected people and
> isolating them in turn if necessary. This strategy, recommended by the
> World Health Organisation and which we could accomplish in Switzerland
> while protecting personal data, has the immense advantage of enabling a
> rapid and active extinction of local outbreaks, while avoiding strict
> confinement for a long period of time.

<snip>