Frederic Neyrat on Sun, 3 Nov 2019 18:11:32 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook

Thanks for your answer!

My best,

FN

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 10:49 AM José María Mateos <chema@rinzewind.org> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 10:28:01AM -0600, Frederic Neyrat wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to know if some people on this list - be they activists,
>environmentalists, artists, thinkers, contributors - are (still) on
>Facebook and if yes, why, being given the extreme noxiousness of this
>"social" (?) network.

I've been off Facebook (see caveats below), but the reasons people
typically have to stay there are essentially that it provides a useful
way of communicating with either a close circle of friends and family,
and to broadcast opinions to the world. And that utility is above all
other considerations. Is it used to wage psychological warfare on its
users? Sure, but of course it doesn't affect them, only other people.

As I said, I don't have a Facebook account anymore, but keep close
contact with said friends and family using WhatsApp groups, which
belongs to Facebook, am I then out of Facebook entirely? I don't think
so. Would I like to use a different system/app/protocol/whatever?
Definitely, but I can't force everybody else to move; we're basically
stuck there due to the network effect.

I am now the weird friend that from time to time shoots an e-mail; I'm
glad to say that it works, and that people tend to take it more
seriously than a Facebook message. As for broadcasting, I  use a blog.
Do people read it? Barely, but at least what I post there is published
under my rules.

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos || https://rinzewind.org/
#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission