Felix Stalder on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 10:24:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> rage against the machine

Thanks Ted, Scott and Morlock, this history is obviously more complex
and nuanced than the point I was trying to make, which was not
historical at all, but rather logical.

To my limited understanding, the black box in the airplane is not a
device to limit the complexity of the pilots' interaction with, or
understanding of, the plane by reducing a complex process to a simple
in/out relationship.

No, it's a flight recorder. During the flight, it has no output at all,
and in no way influences the processes of flying. It simply records
certain signals, including voice signals.

The plane would fly in exactly the same way if it wasn't there.

In this sense, it's a forensic, not a cybernetic tool. And as that, it's
function is actually exactly the opposite. It's a tool designed not to
hide but to reveal complexity, to make transparent what happens inside
the cockpit.

Just because there are procedural limits as to who is allowed to open
the box, and therefor it's "black" to some people (the pilots, the
airline technicians like Scott) doesn't make it a black box in the
cybernetic sense. Otherwise, every safe would be a cybernetic black box.

And because it's not a cybernetic object, it's not a good object to talk
about the problems of complexity and if/how we run a ever larger number
of processes at or beyond the outer limits of complexity that we can
manage. That was the only point I was trying to make.

But because Scott, who as detailed, first-hand knowledge of these
things, agrees with the cybernetic reading to plane's black box, I might
be mistaken here.

Felix