Brian Holmes on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 06:20:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> rage against the machine

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 8:29 AM Florian Cramer <flrncrmr@gmail.com> wrote:

Travis suggests that the 737 MAX fiasco resulted from a combination of market economics/cost-optimization management and software
being used to correct hardware design flaws.

Thank you, Florian, for explaining with the Travis text exactly what I described in my first post on this thread, which also included the article on MACS from Air Currents.

Despite Ted's excursions into aviation history, which at least he finds brilliant,  plus the general manly readiness to cut the throat of, one doesn't know exactly whom, we have gotten no further in terms of understanding the situation than what you have transcribed. It's still about a badly designed plane "fixed" by a cybernetic patch, in a quest for profit that knows no bounds.

Everyone would like to see a change in the disdain which corporate organizations show for the lives of the public, and this is a typical case, comparable to Facebook selling your personal data or BP polluting entire oceans. I agree any change will require mass anger and a threat of violence. However, Trump's people have that in spades, they're angry about many of the same things, and I don't think their rage is going to create any change whatsoever. Instead the sputtering verbal violence covers a concerted march forward in exactly the same direction.

How to express a necessary anger in a way that increases both people's willingness and actual capacity to act politically? It's the unanswered question I take away from the thread.

Brian