Keith Hart on Sun, 3 Mar 2019 14:03:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook’s “toxic” global lobbying

C L R James argued from the 70s that there are only two world revolutions left -- the second Russian revolution and then the second American revolution (missing out the civil war which instituted national capitalism).  We thought the fall of the Berlin Wall was the first, but it wasn't. It released the American Empire to supervise world capitalism.

Since 1914-18, there has only been one political question. Which form will rule the world. By analogy, do you think the Roman empire would allow a civil war in Italy? Americans are so parochial. It suits their ruers for them to be so.

It is pointless to predict the forms of violence, but the prize is to rule the world with minimal opposition. It is true that the cyberpunk writers were right long ago. But timing is everything in life and where are they now?

Brian is right that only religion can mobilize the masses to sign up for a vision of another world. The main event of the last century was the anti-colonial revolution whereby peoples coerced into world society by European empires sought their independent relationship to it. Laders  like Gandhi, James and Fanon articulated a post-imperial vision that individuals could fight for as their own. Religon binds something  intimately personal to a vision of what is out there. I study them.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Lorenzo Tripodi <loreso@oginoknauss.org> wrote:
Patrice,
this is an interesting perspective, but how do you expect NRA supported armed trumpians, trained fascists and various paramiltary goons training full day at shoot-all  video games, backed likely by the above quoted corporate rulers and with the enthusiastic external support of Russian hackers not to win a civil war?

lorenzo