carlo von lynX on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 21:28:57 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> John Naughton on Shoshana Zuboff: 'The goal is to automate us': welcome to the age of surveillance capitalism

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 09:00:33PM +0100, Patrice Riemens wrote:
> Well, as I understood Shoshana Z, the pb is that you cannot, in the
> current dispensation, legislate something that would destroy the
> very basis on which today's version of capitalism is based. Making
> data gathering illegal is not a tweak, it's system(ic) change.

That's an interesting "fatalistic" perspective. Let's discuss it.
I don't see a reason why it should be so difficult to go back to
where we were 15 years ago:

- Booking targeted advertising becomes illegal/impossible, so you
- Since the whole industry does the same, your competitors have
  no advantage over you.
- If your business model was profoundly unethical, you go out of
  business. That is intentional.

Transition within months, mostly painless.
That's my estimate, and I'm usually good at these kind of estimates.
Just like a predicted that GDPR would not achieve anything substantial.