David Garcia on Sat, 9 Dec 2017 10:43:04 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Locating ArtScience

Brian wrote

> Like Eric, and to Steve's bemusement, I'm influenced by Bruno Latour. The best way to say why is to recall a scene from an interview made perhaps two years ago for the French Ministry of the Environment, which pictures Latour sitting on an indoor chair outside his country home saying something like: "At least the war has finally begun. It was terrible, for so long, the Phony War (*la Drole de Guerre*). But now it's good. The war has started." So what in the hell does he mean by that one?

I have found Latour’s suggestion in "Pandora’s Hope” very helpful of substituting the
concept of science with research . He argues that this would have the effect of
rendering practices we call science less cold, less aloof and distant; less likely to
act as if it were disconnected from the collective.

This shift he asserts would result in something more uncertain and open ended;
an alternative to the "purifying practices of modernity”. Something similar was introduced into
art by Feminists artists of the 70s who were among the earliest to critique the purifying practices
of modernity in art (sometimes called formalism). This turn generated new hybridities that have been
further productively complicated by the emergence of the category of the artist/researcher.

Perhapse the dynamic nature of these hybridities (reflecting Eric’s important distinction between
intersectionality and interdsicciplinarity).

While we are on the subject of Latour..
here is a terrific review of, Facing Gaia: 8 Lectures on the new climate regime..

http://www.publicbooks.org/we-have-never-known-mother-earth/

David Garcia