Brian Holmes on Sat, 9 Dec 2017 08:52:48 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Locating ArtScience

This is a great discussion! CAE just wrote this:

One of the reasons we stopped doing these projects was due to the fact that our experience of the ArtSci world was that it was not progressive. In fact, our experience was that most were unknowing agents for the neoliberals. Aestheticizing the domination of nature, acting as lab public relations agents, and worst of all making science look mysterious and cultish.

I totally agree with this and for a long time my interest in the crossroads of Art and Science was basically limited to - CAE. When asked to admire the wonders of Symbiotica, or dozens of other such endeavors you might find at Ars Electronica, I looked and declined. The conflation of values like "research" and "invention" with simulacra like "innovation" and "excellence" was obvious. It was a tech boom, right? Science laid the golden eggs. Neoliberals handled all the lingo. Profit and power were the keywords. And what was art supposed to do?

Mystification is not for me. Concerning science, I did the historical-materialist critique of what Armin Medosch and I called "technopolitics."

Then this thing called Earth System Science came onto my horizon. It emerged right out of NASA, with some major help from geology and chemistry and statistical modeling. But the significance of it lies in ecology. The point was to understand biogeochemical cycles: the intricate dynamic union of organic and inorganic elements in the all-encompassing metabolic process that is the biosphere. This metabolic process extends about ten miles up into the atmosphere, and it goes all the way down into the earth's mantle, where petrified organic compounds from the crust are gasified in contact with molten material and vented back up into the soil and the atmosphere. The system of biogeochemical cycles is crucially affected by one extra-systemic input: solar energy, transformed by photosynthesis. And now, this remarkably stable homeostatic system is being decisively transformed by one *intra*systemic component: we humans, the Prometheans, who love to burn things. That's what we're literally doing, burning, releasing smoke, accelerating Earth's metabolism to totally unknown degreees.

For the first time I could see something beautiful and urgent in science.

I gotta confess, I've been immoderately influenced by the programming of Bernd Scherer and the rest of the Anthropocene Curriculum crew at HKW in Berlin. Recently the group Deep Time Chicago which I co-founded hosted some of them in Chicago. Bernd said something tremendously interesting which answered a question I had about the changing thematic focus of the institution, which in the mid-2000s had been closely associated with postcolonial critique. For Scherer, Earth System Science and the discourse of the Anthropocene represents an *internal critique* of Western hegemony - a way to pursue and drive home the postcolonial critique. That's an astonishing conclusion. I love TJ Demos, whose book Against the Anthropocene was cited here, and I urge him to think a little more about this idea.

Like Eric, and to Steve's bemusement, I'm influenced by Bruno Latour. The best way to say why is to recall a scene from an interview made perhaps two years ago for the French Ministry of the Environment, which pictures Latour sitting on an indoor chair outside his country home saying something like: "At least the war has finally begun. It was terrible, for so long, the Phony War (*la Drole de Guerre*). But now it's good. The war has started." So what in the hell does he mean by that one?

Earth System Science is the kind of truth that forces you to take sides. Or rather, its rejection forces you to take sides. If Earth System Science makes you see the current form of technoscientific development as a kind of planetary suicide - inevitably preceded by a cortege of horrors - then you must seek allies among those who oppose that suicide. This is a political truth, at least for the people who see it that way. Latour's belief is that scientists are slowly but increasingly recognizing that they have to choose sides in this war.

I am no scientist. I come from another people. In Chicago, which like everywhere in the US is anti-intellectual, they prefer to call me an artist. I did not wait for Earth System Science in order to develop a critique of capitalist technology, and indeed, there are many pathways leading to that critique (Marxism, decolonialism, certain varieties of religious belief, surely many other things). Yet science makes me realize how ineluctable the current process of eco-suicide really is. When you are faced with imminent murder, as in a war, you seek allies - the more powerful the better. Not phony, self-interested relations of commercial convenience like Steve has described, which is most of what you'd find on any random walk. But the rare thing, real allies, which are not born but made.

Eric, what a thought-provoking discussion. You want to locate the Art-Science relation, because you see it as crucial to the present. What I'm saying is you'll never find it in the mystique of creativity and fundamental research. You'll find it in the sequence perception-belief-action, or science-art-politics. You're totally right that it's hard to get across. But what if nothing else will do?

The most difficult question is how to change oneself in order to make allies.

Brian