Keith Sanborn on Thu, 5 Oct 2017 06:47:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> New "thought rhythms'

The displacements in artistic labor are at once predictable—at least in « the West »—and often merely generation. What interests me more is what you might call the grandfather effect. Where a new generation goes in search of an artistic forbearer. It cd be an heroic forbearer two generations back or a marginalized artist of the previous generation who can be configured, or “read” or even misread as a precursor to the current generation who offers them a kind of pa- or maternity, a way into art historical legitimacy. This legitimator will be given new interest and even shown along side their work. A case in point is the “discovery” of John Baldessari by the “pictures generation” artists in ny, some of whom had studied with Baldessari at Calarts, notably David Salle, who also lead the charge for the rediscovery of Picabia in the US. Baldessari’s career reached new heights after this “discovery.”

One’s father, it seems, is better ignored than killed.