Gabriella "Biella" Coleman on Thu, 25 May 2017 22:20:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Neoliberalism & alt-rght trolls

On 2017-05-25 06:50 AM, Patrice Riemens wrote:
> On 2017-05-16 15:17, Gabriella "Biella" Coleman wrote:
>

>> Just to take two examples: As you note, above, the alt-right demands
>> economic nationalism (in their own language they are anti-globalist).
>> Anonymous, once it broke free of the chans became a far fling
>> internationalist movement with nodes in India, Malaysia, the
>> Philippines, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Japan, nearly every
>> country in Latin America, Europe, even the Dominican Republic... Makes
>> sense given their philosophy is premised an a radical opensourceness,
>> repeating the mantra--anyone can be Anonymous--that allowed it to
>> spread far and wide.
>>
>> The Alt-right has failed to expand internationally and currently is
>> configured largely as an American phenomena, so much so, that when
>> they tried to meddle in the election in France, they failed.
>>
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/04/technology/french-elections-alt-right-fake-news-le-pen-macron.html
>>

> While the alt.right might have flopped in France in its Anglo
> configuration - since France has a much older and far more efficient
> alternative, thank you very much - remember the French revolution,
> unlike the American one, was profoundly political, and hence has still
> not been properly digested, as Zhou EnLai noted. But in the
> Netherlands it is very much alive and kicking. That should not come as
> a surprise from that misty, muddy appendage in the European delta
> which for long has been a swamp for the most diluted and debased Anglo
> culture. (OK, that was our Dutch bashing session for the day)

I hope people did not actually think I am claiming the right and new
(and Internet-enabled) manifestations of it don't exist out of the
United States. That was not my point about the chans/alt-right. And sure
it can take off and kick off in those parts, though it has not done so
yet and it's just a bit harder compared to Anonymous which was begging
for adoption due to its early activist configuration.

--
Gabriella Coleman
Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy